Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low light plants under HID lights

Posted by nova12 zone 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 18:23

have been growing under lights for some time, but have always wondered about something. For plants that can not tolerate direct sun, or that would prefer shade......can these handle HID lights(MH or HPS). Is there a difference when growing under HID rather than the sun.....I know the the different ways plants grow under each of these types of lights such as MH for vegetative growth, whereas HPS for flowering, but I am mainly asking about low light plants tolerating high amounts light but from HID lights, not the sun.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low light plants under HID lights

Light intensity is the important factor, not the total amount of light. A 100W domestic lightbulb is quite "bright" in a closet but pretty insignificant in a football stadium. So a 400W metal halide will burn any plant, low light or full sun lover, if you place it too close. The same 400W metal halide will not keep even the deepest shade lover alive if you place it too far away and spread out the light too much.

o
RE: low light plants under HID lights

so for low light plants, how far away from a 400W should I keep them, what about a 1000W. Right now I have everything under separate 4 four foot flouro fixtures approx 20 inches above the plants, and I have been thinking about moving them to the basement where I have MH HID lights, mainly hoyas and gessies, as AV's are kept under other lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here