Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my CFLs not doing the trick?

Posted by Z3n_6ArdEn3R Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 20:17

Alright, let me tell you a little bit about my setup first. I am growing in a 2'x3'x4' box that is lined with mylar paper. The box is ventilated very well with case fans at the bottom drawing air in and case fans exhausting out the top. I also have 2 small fans that provide a cross-breeze for the plants to aid in pollination. My hydro setup is the DWC "Emily's Garden". I am growing jalapeno and habanero plants and they seem to be very healthy and have tons of big, dark green leaves. They are about 10" and 8" respectively and they have started to put on tons of blooms in the last few weeks (Jalapenoz have been blooming for about 3 weeks and Habaneros about 2). Now that sounds great and no problems should happen right? WRONG!!!... I have noticed that the blooms keep falling off even after hand pollination. I have narrowed it down to either the lighting I have is not sufficient or the nutrient solution is all jacked up.

Since this is the lighting forum I will only ask about that in this thread. I have a 4x2ft T5 fixture with (4) 3500K tubes that is above my plants on yoyo pulleys and a single 2ft T5 fixture with a 6400K bulb underneath for the under canopy.

Is this enough light for my poor peppers or do I need to add more light? Different spectrum? HIDs?...I really don't want to do HID in such a small box because I don't feel like engineering a cooling tube apparatus to exhaust the excess heat... but if needed I will contemplate the switch. Please help me... Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my CFLs not doing the trick?

A 150w hps covers 2'x2' area, you may need more lighting. sounds like your ventillation can handle a 150w hps, you should consider getting one. What fertilizer are you using? even if you have a 3part w micro and macro nutrients you still may need added calcium to stop blossem end rot, which what could be happening. Even if they do bloom to fruit the fruit will be very small with your current lighting, lettuce would thrive in there though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here