Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gordonhawk

lighting recomendations wanted

gordonhawk
18 years ago

Hi... well it seems to be a very knowlegable group here... so I feel confidant I'll be happy with the results... I guess most of my knowledge is from ages ago.. so be simple here...

First... I have only Chromolux 150W spots in my house... [ 7 because I like the look of the light ] and when I wanted to light 3 additional areas about 4' x 4' to place my outside tropicals which stand maybe 4'-6' tall I used double 150 W chromlux there.. hanging on the wall and shooting out to the center of the areas.... would I be better off with a 400 or 600 W HPS or MH there .. or what would be recomended I guess I might be able to suspend them over the areas ... but I'd prefer to keep them wall mounted or is this just silly for good coverage..

Secondly.. I have a few sprouting growing areas with an in sand waterbed heater underneath the trays and a 6 bulb T-5 fixture above... I've been useing 3 3000K bulbs with 3 6500K bulbs.. should I have been useing all 6500K's. .. also I got a Actinic bulb which I replace one of the bulbs with ... just to see the color of light and how it worked.. is this wise for sprouting.. and which of the types of bulbs should I reduce in useing the Actinic bulb.. just what would hte actinic do for the plants... I'd got it hearing it was used to grow corals..and thought it might help... getting the bulbs to the color of the grow-lux I love the color of so.... oh and what height might be optimal with the 6 T-5's for sprouting .. It's all plenty bright with 6 bulb fixture so it's been fine... but optimally speaking..Thanks for the help

OH.. # 3 I guess..since I have your attention.. in reading the past posts here it seems to me the talk is that there is little diffrence in plant growth useing the HPS or MH lights.. am I reading this correctly...it seemd to me ages ago I had a 1000W light that I'd change out the MH for the HPS bulbs... when I put in the HPS vegative growth decreased alot and the flowering cycle was triggered.. THANKS

Comment (1)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

First, the Chromalux are no good for plants. These are incandescent bulbs and don't produce enough light. A single 400W metal halide or HPS would produce over five times as much light as your two 150W Chromalux. I would suggest that a single 400W metal halide or HPS would be suitable for lighting a 4'x4' area. Plenty for overwintering jungle tropicals, you could probably even do that with a 250W. Maybe you would want a bit more if you wanted to keep high light plants in growth.

Put them lamp anywhere you like, so long as it shines on the plants. A single lamp really needs to be above the plants to avoid shading problems and leaning growth. If you wanted to use half a dozen fluorescents instead, you could mount them vertically around the sides of the planting area. In all cases, you will need reflectors to get the light all going onto your plants.

Seedlings will do fine under 3000K, or the 3000K/6500K mix you have. No need to go to all 6500K. Avoid the actinic, they are too blue and the UV will fry your plants. Makes corals fluoresce nice though :)

What seeds are your growing? Things like annuals and other full sun plants should be grown with the fluorescents nearly touching the tops of the seedlings. Watch out for burning if you get the T5s too close. Use a fan or move them a couple of inches away from the leaves. Some tropicals would want less light, which you can get by moving them further away.

In terms of light available to the plants, metal halide and HPS are roughly equivalent. A strict calculation would show that HPS actually produces more usable photons than the metal halide. The problem with HPS is thar the colour can make the plants think it is time to stop growing and start flowering. If this happens with the plants you are growing then you need more blue light, and switching to a metal halide is one way to do it. Commercial growers tend to use HPS because it is more efficient and then supplement with just enough blue light to keep the plants growing instead of flowering.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH