Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie looking for help

Posted by klyde 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 22:57

Hi all,

Forgive me for not just sitting down and researching on my own, but the family has just moved into a new house. I'm exhausted and my plants need light soon. No time for research.

I need some small grow lights (about 3 feet long) for growing hoyas and orchids, possibly the odd begonia. I have a plastic shelving unit I was hoping to put the plants and some kind of grow lights on. Can someone steer me in the right direction for lights? The local shops have Lightblaster T5's HO. Are they what I am looking for? Is so, how far above the plants should they be? How many tubes per tray?

I really am embarassingly new to this, but would appreciate someone walking me through setting up a small system. The plants are okay at the moment, but have been sitting on a dark floor for a week now...

Kind regards
Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie looking for help

The T5's are probably going to be the most efficient. Get some advice from the shop concerning the ratio of blue to red light bulbs(6500k/2300k).

CFL's would work as well, especially in the small space you have available. You may need a few fixtures with good, reflective hoods.

With flouros, you need to keep them as close to the plant as possible without burning for the rays to penetrate.

6500k for veg, 2300k for flowering/fruiting.

Best of success!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Gardening Adventure

o
RE: Newbie looking for help

t5 is a good lamp, but no need to have a variety of lamps -
go to ushio.com website, and they will show the spectral output of the tri phosphor lamps - you will notice that all of the lamps have a blue, a yellow/green and a red spike, and you achieve nothing at all by mixing up your lamps - I just use 5000K for everything, and it works extremely well. Generally, even though there is PAR, and everything, the total amount of lumens is what tells the story, and the lamps all have the same lumens, except the blue photons have higher energy and are required for chlorophyll synthesis, which is why I use the slightly blue 5000K - even though it looks bluish to the eye, is actually still has plenty of red in it. - you can also use just cheap shop light t8, depending on how much intensity you need, but orchids might benefit from the t5. paul m.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here