Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Light Meter from Amazon

saoodhashim
10 years ago

Hi

I live in Saudi Arabia and was looking for a good (and low cost) light meter for my plant growth both outside and inside. Can someone provide me a link of a good product that I can buy from Amazon? I find a lot of products and cant really decide which one to buy. There are a few meters which have not been designed for plant purposes and I dont know whether I should buy it or not.

I will really appreciate your help.

Btw, I do find some android application for measuring light. Tried one of them and it does respond to increase or decrease in light and to the change in distance from the light source. I dont know if they are any reliable. Any comments on that also please.

Saood

This post was edited by saood on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 1:15

Comments (3)

• art33
    10 years ago

Hi Saood,

Well, I grow most of my plants from seed under fluorescent lights each year. Last year I wanted to do a little experimenting with light, so I needed a light meter of some kind. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a fancy meter so I just purchased the "Dr.Meter LX1330B" from Amazon. I'll have to say, I'm very pleased with this meter. Frankly, I don't know how they (Focus Corp) can sell it for the price they do. It seems to be very well made and the meter itself comes in a nice protective cover. Certainly good enough for my purpose.

By the way, there's an old post here on GardenWeb about using a digital camera as a light meter (see link below). Before answering your post I decided to give it a try. I measured the light about 18 inches under one of my fluorescent lights with the LX1330B and got 320 foot-candles. I then used my digital camera and the formula given on that webpage and came up with 300 foot-candles. Much more trouble but I'll have to say, the result was actually pretty close :-)

As for the android application, I've never use it so can't help you with that one at all.

Hope this is helpful,

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Light Meter

• 2h1o
    10 years ago

I've had really good results using a "LightScout DLI 100" light meter (by Spectrum Technologies, Inc.) for both indoor & outdoor measurements. Cost is a little bit more ($) than the Dr.Meter LX1330B. I've been very pleased with the quality of this meter, along with being able to measure PAR.

Here is the link to their site if interested ~ http://www.specmeters.com/ ~ once you are on their site, click on 'weather monitoring' and then click on 'light meters' under the heading of environmental meters. I don't know if they ship internationally since they are a US company, but you could always contact them to find out.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your responses.

I will see if any of those are required at the moment, after I downloaded a few light meter android applications. For the time being I will compromise without the PAR. My android - samsung Galaxy S Advance - an old model was not reporting seemingly correction lux of foot-candles numbers, so therefore I downloaded that applications in my wife's cell phone - a newer model - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and it seems the numbers look fine as when I take it direct sunlight it shows me 11,900 foot-candles and as I bring it in the shade, they reduce and inside the house they reduce further - coming upto 10 foot candles. I also tried it by keeping on my window and as the sun rose the reading gradually went up from early morning sunrise - 100 fc onward to 2000 fc. No direct sun on my window.

The only further thing would be for me to have a comparison
    with an actual meter. Perhaps one of you could download these 2 android applications and compare its result with the actual meter readings.

Here are the links

1/ This one gives both lux and fc readings and has a max reading of around 12000 fc and 129000 lux

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bti.lightMeter&hl=en

On your android phone you can search by "Light Meter
    Borce Trajkovski"

2/ This one has a nice display but only lux reading and only a max of 102000 lux.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spaceware.lightmeter&hl=en

On your android phone you can search by "
    Light-O-Meter Spaceware"

Both have ok to good reviews - especially the first one where comparision with an actual meter have been reported by reviewers to be varying by approx. +/- 5%

Thanks again for the input.

Saood

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio