Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supplemental lighting for outdoor balcony

Posted by edh87 7a - Durham, NC (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 0:01

Hi friends,

My balcony sucks. It faces west and is in the woods. It gets some sun, but definitely not a lot. I've got my heart set on growing veggies there until I can move to a new apartment (likely July). Can I hang a 4 foot shop light from the roof of my balcony (the floor of the balcony above me) for supplemental light? Will the rain kill the fixture and/or electrocute me/my friends? Do they make outdoor/rain-proof shop light fixtures?

Thank you!
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supplemental lighting for outdoor balcony

I have no idea about the electrical side of it but a couple of questions come to mind.

1. Are you allowed to screw things into the upstairs neighbour's balcony?
2. Will the neighbours be bothered by your lights blazing away in a woodland area?
3. What do you want to grow and is this the right time of year to be planting it?

o
RE: Supplemental lighting for outdoor balcony

• Posted by edh87 7a - Durham, NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 23:29

Thanks for the help! I don't know if I'm technically allowed to screw things to the ceiling... lots of other people have hanging planters, so I assume so? I'm not planning on growing anything right now, just making plans for the spring. And I hadn't thought about how neighbors might feel about a random light in the woods... It would just be during daylight hours, but probably still pretty annoying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here