Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this set up ok?

Posted by farmingvillefarmer East Coast zone 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 1:51

Ok I think I have this right, please let me know if this set up is ok or what i should do to improve it. I want to use Flourecent bulbs only. Ok so im thinking of buying these nice shelves from Home Depot. They are around 86 bucks, very strong and sturdy. HD has T12 light fixtures in which im told I can place T8 bulbs into. The fixture is 8 dollars and some change. The shelves are 4 feet wide so on 4 shelves i can place 4 trays each to start seeds. That's 48 plants per tray times 16 trays. Thats 700+ flowers on one shelf unit. Now if I have this right I have to place under each shelf 2 light fixtures for a total of 4 bulbs making it 8 fixtures per unit and 16 bulbs total per unit. What im hoping for is that this set up is good enough and that the plants will grow with these lights, or can I get away with one light fixture per shelf? ( I DOUBT ). I'm actually thinking of making 2 shelf units like this for over 1400+ flowers. please comment thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this set up ok?

I'd say go with two fixtures, four bulbs per level, for better light coverage. Transplant the seedlings into plastic party cups once they, well root. I wasted my time with floroz when I was a beginner. There's just nothing like a 600 hps. You can veg so many plants in the beer cups under a single 1000 halide. Just pack them nut to but, but space them out as they need more room. Transplant accordingly.

o
RE: Is this set up ok?

That sounds like it'd work fine to me, and I agree that you should go with two fixtures per shelf. The extra light will make a lot of difference.

Keep in mind that those fixtures are normally used in indoor growing just to get plants started. Once they get very big at all they'll need more light to really thrive but as long as you're looking to just get the ball rolling I think that'll work perfectly for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here