Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
build an LED Grow light? really

Posted by calimurray (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 16, 08 at 6:02

I am currently using an old 2x4 fixture for suspended ceiling I drilled 100 holes in the back side and put 2 -50 ft strands of LED C Christmas lights in there 50 red and 50 blue. They use a total of 7 watts.

I am growing morning glory's, enchantment, radishes, carrots, tomato's ,peas, cucumbers, and herbs they all were planted one week ago and I have sprouts everywhere.

I was amazed the Christmas lights actually work I ordered 100 10 mm superbrite blue prewired LED's from Best hong kong
Hopefully I'll get those soon to create another more powerful light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: build an LED Grow light? really

Here's my LED light:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze10ptv6/index.html

o

i see more and more about l.e.d. lights. the only ones i've really seen that seem to be doing good cost way over the price of H.I.D. lights. i have 4 panels of l.e.d.'s and can say they are useless beyond anything i have tried. mine are the glow panels and use 45 watts of power each. i have 4 of them. i like the h.i.d. lights much more for what they do. yes they cost more, but they do much better than the l.e.d.'s i have seen in the same price range. i have seen l.e.d.'s that produce like the h.i.d.'s but they cost well over a $1000 each!!! really what is the deal here?

o

Derek, sorry to hear about poor results.
I am curious tho, so I don't look into the same products, you mentioned 45w glowpanels, are they the $140.00 sunshine glowpanels?

o

I like to see my plants in good light so I can tell if they have any deficiencies. It's also easier to see bugs and fungus problems in more natural light. If LEDs were my last choice, I'd choose a sun room and going by some of your prices it would probably be cheaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here