Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor pool used as greenhouse???

Posted by joellenwv Z6 WV (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 04 at 7:08

I have recently moved to a house with a heated 20' x 40' indoor pool. I was wondering if I could get double-duty from this room and use it as a greenhouse as well. I can't find any information online about this, and I don't know if the idea is feasible at all. The room itself is 30' wide by 55' long, and is attached to my house on its north side. The South, West, and East sides open to the outside. There are 6 small skylights in the room as well as 8 sliding glass doors, but as we are surrounded by forest, the light quality is medium at best. The temperature of the room stays at a fairly consistent 68-72 degrees due to the heat from the pool. The room has high humidity (obviously), but I can ventilate it if necessary as there are several ventilation fans lining the walls. Additionally, the skylights open or I could open any of the doors briefly (which would also let in the cold). My questions are: has anyone ever attempted this? Would the temperature and humidity be conducive to growing herbs and vegetables? Would any chlorine vapors be harmful? Would I need grow lights? I need help, and any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor pool used as greenhouse???

• Posted by Hap_E z9 BerkeleyCA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 30, 04 at 10:59

Yes, your pool room can be used to grow plants. But you will have two problems from your description. First is light, herbs and vegi's need lots of light to grow well indoors. If your windows are shaded by trees you will need to add lights of some kind. Second, chlorine does take it's toll on plants, it is very toxic, which is why it works so well at keeping the pool clean. If you really want to have healthy plants in there, look in to getting an Ozone system for the pool. It will reduce the amount of chemicals you need. While you are at it look in to switching to Bromide instead of chlorine. Safer for both you and the plants and I think you will like loosing the chlorine smell in your house.

If you don't add lights or alter your pool chemicals there are a number of rugged tropical plants that will survive in low light and bad air. Try a Monstera or philodendron, also some of the Ficus, like fiddle leaf fig can also take those kinds of conditions, but stay away from Ficus benjamina they hate chlorine.

good luck,

Hap

o
RE: Indoor pool used as greenhouse???

I would love to have a set-up like that, except I would use the pool for gators

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here