Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joellenwv

Indoor pool used as greenhouse???

joellenwv
19 years ago

I have recently moved to a house with a heated 20' x 40' indoor pool. I was wondering if I could get double-duty from this room and use it as a greenhouse as well. I can't find any information online about this, and I don't know if the idea is feasible at all. The room itself is 30' wide by 55' long, and is attached to my house on its north side. The South, West, and East sides open to the outside. There are 6 small skylights in the room as well as 8 sliding glass doors, but as we are surrounded by forest, the light quality is medium at best. The temperature of the room stays at a fairly consistent 68-72 degrees due to the heat from the pool. The room has high humidity (obviously), but I can ventilate it if necessary as there are several ventilation fans lining the walls. Additionally, the skylights open or I could open any of the doors briefly (which would also let in the cold). My questions are: has anyone ever attempted this? Would the temperature and humidity be conducive to growing herbs and vegetables? Would any chlorine vapors be harmful? Would I need grow lights? I need help, and any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)