Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habman_gw

Did I over do it ?

habman
17 years ago

I just received my 3 CFL 85watts lights.(3000K, 5000K and 6400K)

Wow these CFL are huge. I'm thinking this is a bit overkill.

I only have 18" by 36" space to grow herbs and pepper plants.

I've read that you can never have too much light.

I think I'll add another shelf just for herbs and use one CFL 5000K and use the 2 other CFL for my pepper plants.

Comments (6)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

You'd be surprised. One on that space would be too little for your peppers, except maybe for a hotspot in the middle, two is probably about right. Herbs vary, but the mediterranean ones I have would be happy to have all three blazing down on them, although possibly they'd grow just as well with only two.

Make sure you use a reflector (should I have that in my sig maybe?).

• habman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>>You'd be surprised. One on that space would be too little for your peppers, except maybe for a hotspot in the middle, two is probably about right

Ok great.

>>Make sure you use a reflector

I'm going to try and make a custom reflector with mylar and sheets of metal or wood. Should do ok and cheap cheap cheap!
    At the very worst I will cover the shelf with mylar(top bottom and sides).

• gbrendemuehl
    17 years ago

I don't think you need to worry. 3 85W CFLs produce about the same # of lumens as 6 4 foot t8s.

• habman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a pic of my temporary grow box.
    6500k 85 watts CFL.
    I used a emergency camping blanket to cover the inside of the box.
    Temp is 92F and soil is 79F. Should be good for peppers. :)

If my plants don't get enough light, I give up!

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

That one on the right doesn't look like a pepper!

Having three bulbs gives you the option of adjusting the light levels as needed so I think you'll do fine. Might need a taller box in a few months though ;)

• habman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The one on the bottom right is a branch off of a cacti.
    It was dying.The roots are rotted so I cut a branch and transplanted it to see if I could save it.

The one to the left of the cati has lots of white hair on it's leaves (C. pubescen ?).
    Strange because the seeds I brought back from Mexico are Cuarresmen,Serrano,Habanero and Chilacas (Pasilla) and none of those are pubescen.
    Could be the result of cross polination. I guess I will find out in a few months.

I also have a few flowers in that mix.

The grow box is just a temp solution until I free up my shelves from junk.