Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting setup

Posted by greenhome NB Canada (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 12:11

Grow lamps were too expensive, so I purchased a fluorescent fixture and two T8, 32-watt fluorescent lamps -- one cool white, one warm white. Now I'm wondering if that's enough light to grow herbs for winter use and start seeds for the garden, in the spring.

I've looked and looked, and can't find the optimum number of watts required for growing indoors, and would appreciate some advice from experienced indoor gardeners.

Thank you.

Gina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting setup

• Posted by edh87 7a - Durham, NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 16:26

I found this thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lights/msg100150263074.html?11 combined with this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux to be very helpful. Looking at the amount of lumens the bulbs put out, not watts, I found that two T8 bulbs produced a good amount of lux for a 4ftx1ft area. It was comparable to the amount of lux for "full daylight" according to the wiki page. But not all T8s produce the same amount of lumens, so you should do your own calculation. (Lux = lumens divided by area. So two 4ft T8s span about a 4ft by 1ft area). Of course, not all of the light is staying in that 4'x1' area, but I thought it was a good enough approximation, and one that will be more true if you use shiny stuff to reflect the light back onto that area. One note of caution - the thread I linked at one point confused "ft-candles" and "lux." A foot-candle is the imperial measurement of amount of light per area. Lux is the metric measurement. One foot-candle equals about 10 lux.

Good luck!
Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here