Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ongodsmountain

Extending day with lights

ongodsmountain
9 years ago

I live in the mountains of nor cal and have had terrible luck growing maters and peppers outdoors, so this year I tried it indoors in my rec room which is all windows.. made and bought some self watering containers, started from seed in a box I made for the purpose, transplanted into the containers, set next to a south window and the plants took off..

But now the days are getting short and the foliage away from the windows, while always looking a bit light deprived, are starting to die...

The plan all along was to extend the day by adding lighting, but now I need to act fast...

I was planning to use auxiliary lighting 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening with probably 4 hours 'off' mid day, to create a 12 hour day...

So I need to select a light that will give me as much bang for buck (both in initial cost and usable light) possible.. My long term goal is to grow my favorite veggies and herbs 'year round'.. this is one more step to that end...

The area I need to cover is probably 5-6' wide (but I can compress it a little if needed) and 3' deep...

The light I was considering is this one...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JL0BWG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3I2T1KNQS8QFT&coliid=I1DGO2OWQXNITT

Included are pictures of the little garden I need to cover.. I will be adding plants on top of the seed starting box too at some point (some other kind of veggies.. perhaps onion, cucumber, etc.)

Will this light do what I need? If not, is there something else out there I should consider? I'm thinking I might add a mylar curtain around the three sides that are not window at some point to help contain/maximize the light..

Thanks,
Mark

This post was edited by ongodsmountain on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 15:16