Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grow light

Posted by busboss none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 15:44

i have a 4ft. tomato in my bsmt. i purchased a different grow light a philip plant light agro-lite br40 120w flood light design puts off a lot of heat unlike florescent tube how close can this bulb be placed to plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grow light

unfortunately your lamp is not very good for growing tomatoes - especially a 4 footer - save money and get a proper hps hid lamp such as gavita or reflectorized 400w hps - you'll be able to grow 4 tomatoes with such a light, at 4 feet. your given light is kind of useless, unfortunately.

o

I have a 65watt cfl and pushes 3900 lumens and also. A 23 watt cfl..is this enough lumes..plant looks great...just eant to be sure...let me no...if its ok

o

depends on the type of tomato - if it is for the tomato that you can smoke, i would use 2 or 3 of the 65 watt and a few 23 watts pointed at the sides. if it is the eating kind of tomato then probably you are ok.

o

You can get the grow light as close as can but not till plant gets burn. You can use good indoor thermometer and monitor the temperature at the top of shade. Then you can guess how close to get your grow light. If its 1000W grow light than the good height is 16"-18" from the top and normal is more like 18"-24".

o

• Posted by dsws none (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 21:14

I googled the Phillips agro-lite, out of curiosity. It says 270 lumens for 120 watts, on the listing on Home Depot. Can that possibly be correct? That's like the amount of light per heat you would get from the coils of an electric stove or something.

o

If that’s correct then you’d be getting fried tomatoes.

o

They have been shown to produce most of their light in the two frequency bands used by chlorophyll, but they are incandescent, and are much less efficient than a HID light. It's more expensive to buy a HID, but the HID has much higher value.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here