Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Where to get the cheapest MH setup?

newgen
14 years ago

I'm looking for the lowest price for a 400W MH setup that includes everything needed to get started, plug and play. Should have the ballast, bulb, reflector, cables,....

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I'm not sure that 400W or even 120V would be available but I know of several factories and warehouses that have and are switching from MH/HPS to T5 and all of their units can be had for cheap. Ebay or Craigslist would also be good places to look.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

I'm not sure that 400W or even 120V would be available but I know of several factories and warehouses that have and are switching from MH/HPS to T5 and all of their units can be had for cheap. Ebay or Craigslist would also be good places to look.

I have noticed that unanswered original posts (OPs) stay on top of the page. After awhile, often, someone gives an off-topic or otherwise bad reply to that post. Then those OPs float to the bottom of the page and out of sight, without ever having been properly answered.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I've noticed some people like to argue and say things to heat things up. Where did you get the idea that non answered OPs stay on top? After a period of time they all advance. The following 2 are unanswered in this forum on page one.

Usta Co., Ltd High Pres Sodium Starter
    garnet micro red amaranth under lights?

If the OP wants it to stay on top they should reply once in a while to keep it up. The OP didn't state they were looking for a NEW setup so I replied with an option for finding a CHEAP setup.

I see you have once again managed to dodge the answer yourself and try to make it look like I did something wrong. LOL, try again.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

I've noticed some people like to argue and say things to heat things up. Where did you get the idea that non answered OPs stay on top? After a period of time they all advance. The following 2 are unanswered in this forum on page one.
    Usta Co., Ltd High Pres Sodium Starter
    garnet micro red amaranth under lights?

If the OP wants it to stay on top they should reply once in a while to keep it up. The OP didn't state they were looking for a NEW setup so I replied with an option for finding a CHEAP setup.

I see you have once again managed to dodge the answer yourself and try to make it look like I did something wrong. LOL, try again.

Sorry, my bad.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

newgen,

I just bought a 400 watt HPS system (not MH) from HTG Supply. With shipping it was less than $150. The bulb is suppose to have a bit more blue and violet spectrum light than normal HPS, but I'm not so much concerned about vegetative growth.

Mike

• stacysgreenhouse
    14 years ago

We use a few htgsupply 400w hps lamps with 'dual arc' mh/hps lamps. They work very well in the early spring when it's still too cold in the greenhouses, they provide tons of light and warm the greenhouse to normal levels. I bought them because they were the cheapest, but they have a 2 year warranty. I've had the same ballasts for a few years now and they still work great. Bulbs get changed about once a year and rage in price from $10 - $75. I buy dual arc bulbs on ebay for around $25.

• luv_2_gardn
    14 years ago

They don't get much cheaper than the site listed below. If you don't care about vegetation you may want an HPS for flowering -- a pot growers dream for creating "bud." Their loss, my gain -- love growing flowers in winter :) Creates a much better high and it's legal :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Lights

• amigatec
    14 years ago

Can you tell me more about these 'dual arc' bulbs??

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting