Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lumen ratings, coverage area

Posted by wordwiz (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 08 at 19:35

Does anyone know - bulbs are usually rated in lumens, such as 4,000 or 6,900 lumens. Is this basically the same thing as lux? I know lux is the amount of lumens per square meter (10.76 sq. feet IIRC) so does a rating of 4,000 lumens mean that the light if placed at a specific distance, one that would cover those 10+ sq. ft., that the lux reading would be 4,000?

Any links to data that explains this?

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lumen ratings, coverage area

In another forum a member said he had read that the lumens quoted on bulbs are the amount reaching a surface from one foot away, or in other words, a ft. candle. To get it's lux rating, one would divide by 10.54 (I think that's the amount).

My light meter seems to agree. Taking the reading from about five inches away, I get ~14,500 lux. At exactly six inches, ideally I should get a reading of 13,800, at about two feet I get ~3,000.

IME, 3,000 lumens hitting the leaves of the plant should be enough for seedlings though not enough to set and produce fruit for most plants.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here