Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatohead160

Earth Composition Indoor Gardening

TomatoHead160
19 years ago

Does anyone know the BEST earth composition for growing indoor vege's? (Tomato's, cukes, and grn. peppers.)

How often to water, etc..... I know it is different than outdoor watering. Frequency wise.

But 1st, earth composition please.

Tomatohead160

Comments (7)

• maineman
    19 years ago

Tomatohead,

I use Premier Pro-Mix BX, and I add extra Perlite to it for a lighter, better draining growing medium. The Premier products are based on Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. The BX formula contains some Perlite, but not enough for my liking, so I add extra.

Not all Sphagnum Peat Moss products are created equal. I have been disappointed with Miracle Grow potting mix.

If you use much growing medium it is more economical to purchase the Premier Pro-Mix in compressed bales rather than in loose bags. Also get the Perlite in big bags. Small bags of anything are relatively high priced.

The disadvantage of using a sterile growing medium is that you don't have soil organisms to convert urea to nitrates, so you probably should use a urea-free nutrient solution to avoid a toxic buildulp from the urea. Your soluble nutrients should also contain trace elements.

MM

• TomatoHead160
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your response.

What % of perlite do you add?

And if u have an indoor garden, how often do u water it?

Tomatohead160

• maineman
    19 years ago

Tomatohead160,

"What % of perlite do you add?"

I add about one part perlite to four parts of Premier mix. If it is for plants that like "well drained" soil, I use a mix richer in perlite in the range of one part perlite to three parts of Premier mix.

"And if u have an indoor garden, how often do u water it?"

It depends on the plant and on how dry the air in the house is. African violets get watered every 10 days to two weeks. Rapidly growing seedlings may need water every other day. I usually water with one-quarter strength liquid fertilizer.

MM

• TomatoHead160
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was using one third perlite, one third, cowmanue, and one third sphagnum.

I need to cut back on the perlite. I had to water daily.

I am using sodium and magnesium lights indoors. When the plants are full-grown, they are about a foot or two away from the lights. I am not sure but the lights may be too strong for the plants. I can't see any burning, it is only a guess. What do you think?

Tomatohead160

• maineman
    19 years ago

Tomatohead160,

"I was using one third perlite, one third cow manure, and one third sphagnum. I need to cut back on the perlite. I had to water daily.

I would eliminate the cow manure, because it may be providing too much nitrogen.

"I am using sodium and magnesium lights indoors. When the plants are full-grown, they are about a foot or two away from the lights. I am not sure but the lights may be too strong for the plants."

Those are way stronger lights than I have the budget for. They may be why you have to water so often. Also, your indoor air may have a low relative humidity.

But those lights probably aren't providing too much light intensity for your tomatoes, cucumbers, and green peppers, all of which prefer full sunlight. How do you have your timer set for hours of light and hours of darkness per day?

MM

• TomatoHead160
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello again.

I can cut down on the manure. The coop extention here said to use that combination. but I can cut it back.

Re: Humidity. I am in south florida so my A/C is on 100% of the time. The A/C takes water out of the air. So yes, it tends to be dry.

Re: Lights/Darness.: The lights are on from about 8a to 5p. They get indirect sunlight (directly from the sun but indirectly) from about 2p - 4:30p or so.

Darkness (I know that is important too) from about 7:30p or 8p until 8a the next morning.

Your thoughts? Thanks!

Tomatohead160

• jmhewitt
    19 years ago

Tomatohead: we need to interchange ideas....I have 15 tomato plants going inside under lights. most of these are in Johnny's Self Watering pots (no longer available) of 8 gallons. I am using a mixture of ProMix BX and Black Cow Composted Cow Manure, but some of my carts have Mushroom Compost added and they are growing better.

I have added a MH light with now runs 14.5 hours daily and the HPS runs for 3 three hour shifts or 9 hours. the plants are dark from 11:30 until 9:00am. When I just had a HPS and ran it for 16 hours the plants burned. both are 400 Watts.

Most of these were started outside and then moved inside when it started to freeze, the pots before the first freeze and the carts traveled back and forth from the inside to the outside for almost a month. now that I have added the MH light I think they grow better inside. My determinants in the big grey cart are almost 6' tall (Early Wonder and Clear Pink Early). the EWs were the first to ripen, followed by Matina, 4th of July and Bloody Butcher. I have yet to see ripe Clear Pink Early or Burpee Early Harvest Hybrid, but the tomatoes of these are bigger than any of the early ripening ones. also have a Bucks County that is doing pretty good.

I expected a bug problem, but that hasn't really developed. I spray with BugBGone and another when necessary, and use the yellow sticky squares.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes Under Lights

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022