Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfraser529

ODNO Ballast Question

rfraser529
16 years ago

A question for any lighting experts / closet electrical engineers out there.

Disclaimer: I acknowledge that I am undertaking these lighting experiments with full personal accountability, and agree to hold harmless any person venturing an opinion or offering advice on the following questions.

Nearly a year ago I set up several banks of ODNO T-8 32W shop lights from the shop light kits that used to be available from Home Depot, the ones with the SunPark SL-15 Ballast. For $9.00US for the fixture plus $5.00US for the extra SL-15 ballast I have very satisfactory light output, acceptable heat and acceptable bulb life.

I have recently expanded my orchid collection and was going to set up 2 new ODNO T-8 light banks, one 4 tube and one 6 tube to light 2 shelves. Unfortunately, the cheap $8.99US shop light sold by Home Depot now is a 2-tube T-12 40W shop light with electronic ballast (Medium output). After a second of hesitation, and finding no easy way to open the box and disassemble the fixture without looking rather suspicious I bought 3 of these and 2 of the more expensive ($16.00US) 2 tube T-8 shop lights with the Sunpark SL-15 ballast or the equivalent. These are however much wider with the reflector and I cannot easily make a 6 tube bank with them to fit my plant rack.

It occurred to me that when setting up the ODNO lights the Sunpark is designed to run T-12 40W or T-8 32W lamps. The new ballast while designated T-12 40W medium output, the 8-Watt/tube difference was not that far out of spec for a normally driven T-8 tube. When using one SL-15 to drive a single T-8 tube the effective wattage is 64 or 80 or somewhere in-between depending on how the ballast "sees" the tube.

It is hard for me to imagine how for $5.00US an SL-15 could "know" it is hooked up to a T-12 tube or a T-8 tube aside from perhaps overall resistance of the tube itself. So then I wonder, does it really switch output between the 2 tube types or is it just a happy average within operating parameters of both tubes? The logical extension of this speculation was of course, will the ballast designated T-12 know if it has been duped and hooked up to a single T-8 tube, and if not, what will the overall consequences of the higher ballast output be for the T-8 tube?

In earlier discussion threads on this topic the consensus was that driving a single T-8 tube with a single 2 tube ballast was not so far out of spec for US standard T-8 tubes as to be unreasonable. So I elected to wire up one 2-tube fixture with 2 of these ballasts and hooked up 2 T-8 tubes. After getting a safe distance away, and verifying functional fire extinguishing equipment near by I plugged it in.

Keep in mind that when I performed this experiment this past weekend in Northern Wisconsin it was around 40F in my shop. The tubes lit normally if not briskly for a cold tube, and seemed fairly bright. The heat output was greater as expected given the higher wattage, but no singularity was created, no parallel universe or time-space continuum distortion that I could see developed, and in the short term no fire, or visible blackening of the tube ends.

I only ran it for 10 or 15 minutes, and as noted it was pretty cool in the shop so I am unsure as to how hot 2 pairs wired this way might get. If the only likely consequences is voiding the warrantee on the $9.00US fixture, shorter life expectancy of the T-8 tube and slightly higher heat and light output overall I could live with that for now, at least until I finish my reflectors for the dual 85Watt CFL fixtures I am slowly making progress on.

If on the other hand the probability of creating a Black Hole, a tear in the very fabric of space-time, or most concerning of all a small local explosion and subsequent fire occurring when the lights are usually on when I am not home, I will order more SL-15 ballasts from SunPark and skip the T-12 ballasts all together.

I am not looking for a blessing or guarantee of any kind, just facts about the engineering specs of the tubes and ballasts as well as a sense for how far out of spec I may be pushing things.

I built the first sets of ODNO lights based on information gained in this very forum, so this is the first place I turned. Is Shrubs&Bulbs still around?

Comments (4)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ballasts are designed to push a constant current through a particular voltage on each of their outputs. Hence the nominal power printed on the box. Obviously, to maintain a constant current they must be able to manage that through a certain range of voltages and for modern electronic ballasts, even cheap ones, this is often a very large range. The voltage across a fluorescent tube is mostly dependant on its length but also a little on its thickness.

A 40W T12 ballast is designed to push 430ma while a 32W T8 ballast is designed to push 265ma (at ballast factor 1.0). The T8 ballasts you have been playing with are most probably ballast factor 0.88 and push even less than 265ma. The voltage across the T8 and T12 is close enough that you can consider it to be the same, so the T12 ballast will push very close to 430ma through the T8 tube. Hence even normally driven the T8 with your T12 ballast will be hotter and brighter, not far short of your original overdriven setup. Overdrive this and you will get something rather intense.

The 265ma current is below nominal for the T8 tube, and the 0.88 ballast factor takes them even further below their design levels, they are deliberately being underpowered to match the light output of legacy tubes. While your original 2x setup with the T8 ballasts is not far above the original designed tube power, overdriving it with the T12 ballasts takes it a long way above the design levels and you can expect more heat, shorter life, and decreased efficiency.

• rfraser529
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful reply! If I understand you correctly the current T-12 ballast in these fixtures driving 2 T-8 tubes may approach the output of the single SL-15 driving a single tube T-8? If this is the case, my problem is solved. I spoke with Sunpark today and learned one tidbit about temp rating of these ballasts. The rated temp to 4000 hours of service is 45C. For every 10C increase the life drops by half. I do not think my SL-15T s in OD configuration are exceeding that, but based on a very short experiment with the T-12 ballast driving a single T-8 lamp it would be shortening the life of the ballast considerably.

Since I can fit 3 of these fixtures into my shelves, using the installed T-12 ballast in normal output configuration I may achieve around a 1.4 ballast factor through the T-8 tubes. I am not hitting the mark for the OD SL-15T, but I am not off by much, and I save the cost of the additional ballast.

The person I spoke with at Sunpark seemed to think that running a T-8 tube with the T-12 ballast in normal configuration would actually exceed the T-8 in an OD configuration with the SL-15T. I do not see how that could add up, but perhaps he did not understand what I was asking.

I also learned that the both these fixtures actually have Sunpark ballasts that are simply re-badged by the manufacturer of the fixture itself. Apparently Sunpark is no longer going to sell ballast to them, though they will still be available to consumers on the Internet from Sunpark direct.

I think that for now at $9.00US a pop I may have to stock up on these in case I keep getting plants and do not finish the planned CFL fixtures.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

Are you sure the T12 fitting does not have an SL-15 ballast in it, rebadged or differently labelled? The SL-15 is specc'd to operate two 40W T12 tubes although it would effectively be running them as 27W tubes.

• rfraser529
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good question, and that is why I bought them in the first place even though the box was labeled for "40 W T-12 tubes with electronic ballast", I considered the possibility that they might have been using the SL-15T and I was willing to waste nine bucks on the gamble that they were. Also I figured the electronic ballasts offer this flexibility in set up, and I figured if it was a different ballast I might still be able to make something work.

As it happens, it is a different ballast - E240120 MR-01, which I understand is ballast code for 2 tube 40 Watt 120 V input, and Sunpark confirmed it is a T-12 ballast. I could not pin them down to the output or ballast factor though. When I asked he said, "for sure it is less than1". I kind of already knew that. I suppose I could test one with my digital Multimeter and get an actual read on the output side.