Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ykerzner

What grow lights to use?

ykerzner
13 years ago

Hi. I use a university greenhouse for a variety of plantings, and would like to know what fluorescent lightbulbs to use to start vegetables early. No messing with the electrical system is allowed. Also, the lights will be kept on 24/7 for several months - should I get a lower output light because of that?

Inside of Greenhouse

There are seven light fixtures like the ones on the left in the greenhouse - two bulbs per fixture.

Comments (12)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Read the instructions. There's plenty info already posted.

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

Poor ykerzner to get such a terse response. So much for the "beauty of this forum".

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Anna,

Do you have any clue how many posts there are about lighting? Not to mention trying to grow under constant lighting?

The beauty of this forum is it contains a search function plus one can Google a question and come up with (often) more relevant links that have been answered here.

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Anna

Ever heard of enabling? I'm not one that's for it. It has created a very lazy society that wants everything handed to them. There's at least 5 threads on the first page that includes good lighting for plants.

• ykerzner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of my original questions remains, albeit slightly modified: given that the lights will be on 24/7, is it better to use a 40-50 watt light to avoid burning plants rather than a 100 watt light, or does it not matter?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Bulbs for those fixtures only use up to 20 watts. You'd have to change fixtures or ballasts for higher powered lights. 24/7 isn't good unless it's just the first 4-6 weeks. Plants need rest too.

• klinko16
    13 years ago

your setup is NOT very ideal - fluoros should be within 4 inches of the seedlings, or closer. in a few months, your seedlings will really overgrow, and you will likely have a mess on your hands. your fixtures don't even have reflectors on them, so my advice would be to start at MOST 4 weeks ahead of time, see if you can find longer chain, to keep the lights just above your seedlings, within a few inches. you have to do this to keep up the light intensity, otherwise the seedlings stretch out to try to reach for the light, and you end up with a mess.

• ykerzner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As taz6122 recommended, they'll only be under lights for 4-5 weeks at most. The other side has much lower fluorescents, only about 1.5 feet above the benches, so the flats will be positioned on upside-down containers to put them about 3 to 4 inches below the lights.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

I would go with 1" or so below the lights.

Mike

• halfway
    13 years ago

Here is a great post on overdriving T8 lights to include schematic drawings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overdriving T8 Shop Lights.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

No need to go off site for that! The person that posted the wiring diagram probably got it here since the discussion was started in '04' and the addy for the diagram was posted in '05'. There's also a much more extensive list of ballasts that I made up myself and I've been using overdriven lights since with no problems. I just changed bulbs from T12s to T8s and there's a major difference. I fruited tomatoes under the T12s and I know they'll do better under these. The wiring diagram is about 1/3 of the way down the page in a post by "zink" under the heading "re: I've found the ..... Missing Diagrams!!".

Here is a link that might be useful: I have found the BEST cheap flourescent ballast/fixture - cont'd.

• halfway
    13 years ago

Good catch taz....I hadn't seen that post on this forum as I'm still plolwing through many of the old threads.