Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelinnc84

Fluorescent Light Bulb

michaelinnc84
13 years ago

I am new to indoor growing under a light but we (My wife and I) wanted to grow some herbs and hopefully some vegetables this winter for eating without having to wait until spring.

We purchased a green house and placed infront of a western facing window. I bought a flourescent shop light fixture and lowes but I wasn't exactly sure which bulb to get so I took a guess and got the GE plant & aquarium bulb F20T12 750 lumens, 3500k color. I have a feeling I might have gotten the wrong bulb and should have gotten one around 6500k color but I wasn't 100% sure.

I appreciate any help. So far I have pole beans and chives and plan on planting several more herb and some lettuce and baby carrots.

I look for any tips and I will continue searching this forum.. Great information!

Comments (7)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Should have listened to your gut lol. P&A bulbs will work but 4100-6500k are better and 5000-6500 are best IMO. A single bulb might work with the added sun light but I would use at least a dual fixture. More light is better IME when it comes to fluorescent.

• michaelinnc84
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok we are switching to a double light $9 at lowes but had bad reviews but I am on a budget so I am going to give it a try. Also switching out the bulbs to the 5,000k.

Next question is what do you think about the vegetables I mentioned?

Carrots, Romaine Lettuce, pole beans, chives, garlic chives, rosemary, and other herbs.

Also I am taking the green house back and switching it out for a bigger shelving unit since I noticed on the post of yalls setups that none of you guys were using a indoor green house setup. Since I wont be using the green house do you suggest a humidifier in the room?

Thanks again!

• lesmatzek209
    13 years ago

i have a 4 ft. 8 tube t5 fixture it has 6500k 54 watt day-
    light bulbs, if you use a two light shop fixture with 6500k
    bulbs it will cover 2 ft. x 4 ft. area and you want the
    light about 1 inch from the tallest leaf there is no way the light will burn the leaf, you can grow everything you
    listed above except pole beans as they grow to 8 or 9 ft.
    instead grow bush beans they are between 3 and 4 ft.
    tall,good and regards.

les

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

To help out the moisture I put the pots in larg trays and then bottom water I do keep a small fan going when the lights are on using indirect air movement. My garden is in a dead air space. Your choice is good for the plants. You might try buttercrunch lettuce it is smaller than most Romain and as crunchy. I find Joi Choi Pak Choi to be a great indoor plant It will dwarf down and grow in a flat habit. It grows like a weed in my indoor garden. German Giant radish will grow well indoors. I have good luck with Fordhook Swiss Chard, It gets really tall.
    Now I am going to try Spinach I read that it is a good indoor plant. Keep us up on what you have luck with I am sure most greens will grow under shop lights. Now fruiting plants that's a different story.

Curt

• michaelinnc84
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great information. It is a lot of information to take in when getting started with indoor gardening, especially when your gardening experience is limited anyways.

I have been thinking about doing some spinach as well because my wife loves spinach on her salad and sandwiches and I love spinach period. I will probably plant some seeds in the coming weeks.

I am planning on doing a blog and maybe a vlog to compliment it to record our progress with this. If just for me to be able to look back and say.. wow look how far I've come. I will let yall know when I get it started if your interested in keeping up to date with how things go. - Also if anyone is interested in co-blogging with me let me know. Might be interested to team up with someone on the blog who has an indoor garden too.

I noticed one of my pole beans have sprouted already but I am still waiting on everything else. My 2 inch cut of rosemary hasn't rooted yet (crosses fingers).

• glaswegian
    13 years ago

Thx guys...I took the advice on here about the bulbs, and replaced my bulbs with the 6500k from Lowes. They had 2 in a pack for $7.98

• amigatec
    13 years ago

If you're in Zone 7A the Rosemary will do good outside. I am in 7A and have had Rosemary outside for 3 years now.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County