Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

I likely have a stupid question about seedling bottom heat,...inp

squirrellypete
11 years ago

I am setting up my first grow/light rack this year and I think I found the perfect spot for it.....in the unused bathtub of our office bathroom. I'm converting a 6 foot tall x 4 foot long wire shelving unit for this and it will fit perfectly in the space. I estimate there will be 2 or 3 shelves with lights above them and then a fourth unlighted shelf at the very top. The highest set of light fixtures will actually be hung underneath this unlighted top shelf which will be my seed germinating shelf since that only requires heat and not extra light.

My question: If the ambient room temperature already stays between 70 and 80 degrees all on its own on any given day do I actually need a source of bottom heat for most common seeds of veggies, bedding plants, etc...? My common sense tells me the answer is "No" but I've been wrong before so I'd like to hear someone else answer lol.

This bathroom is located in our office loft which even on freezing winter days is very warm due to being at the top of the house and constantly having multiple computers and other electronics on 24/7. Just wondering if I needed to plop down the $80 or so bucks for a large seedling heat mat not to mention a thermostat controller.

Thanks in advance for any input

Danielle

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts