Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

Problems with cheap fixtures.

jamiedolan
13 years ago

HI,

I just install 9 T-8 fixtures for growing my indoor plants that range from cacti to jade to several bonsai.

I've only had it running for 4 days now. The first day after it was running, one fixture that was from walmart stopped working. I took the bulbs out, tested them in a different fixture, they worked. I put them back and it worked again.

Then today, a different fixture from walmart stops working. I pull the bulbs, put them back, nothing. So then a little bit later, I go down, cut all my zip ties on my cords, move my plants and remove the fixture. Then I plug it in and bam, my light is working again.

Could these cheap fixtures be overheating or something? They have the higher quality 32w bulbs in it.

I'm not sure if I should re-install this fixture again and hope it keeps working or if I should just replace it.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks

Jamie

Comments (18)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Could be bad end caps or lose wiring. They are put together so fast I'm surprised 50% don't work but there's really not much to them. I'd just exchange it if possible. If not have a look inside and gently twist and pull on the wires at the end caps and have a close look where the bulb pin touches. That spring could be broke or bent.

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I'll give it a closer inspection and see if I can find a physical problem with any connection points.

Thanks
    Jamie

• zen_man
    13 years ago

Jamie,

Do you know whether your fixtures have magnetic ballasts or electronic ballasts? If they are really cheap, the ballasts are probably magnetic. You can replace magnetic ballasts with somewhat more expensive electronic ballasts but, obviously, if your fixtures come back to life, the ballast isn't gone.

I like the form factor of some cheap fixtures, and plan to replace their ballasts as required. My cheap ballasts are typically not lasting as long as my T8 bulbs. So I am replacing more ballasts than bulbs. I am staying with ballasts that can be "overdriven" for brighter light.

ZM

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They were the cheapest fixtures I could find, I though the form was nice also, many of the more expensive ones were much wider. I'll have to see if it says, but my guess is that it is the magnetic ballasts.

Do you just pick up the ballasts locally or do you order them from somewhere?

Thanks
    Jamie

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I looked at it and it doesn't say if it is magnetic or electronic. It does say, if fixture stops working, unplug and plug fixture back in. lol.

Do I have to actually take the ballast apart to see if it magnetic or electronic?

Thanks
    Jamie

• zen_man
    13 years ago

Jamie,

"Do I have to actually take the ballast apart to see if it magnetic or electronic?"

Don't bother. If it's not broke, don't fix it. However, electronic ballasts are sensitive to voltage spikes, and I have all of my fluorescent fixtures on surge protectors. My Park SL15 ballasts (old Home Depot commercial shoplights) burn out before my bulbs do anyway, so I will be upgrading those to better ballasts as they burn out.

I have bought some replacement ballasts from Nextech Lighting and I will buy from them again. When you buy a replacement ballast, you have the opportunity to buy a better one. I am in the process of converting all of my plant lights to the "overdrive configuration", in which you use twice as many ballasts per fixture for increased light from your T8 bulbs, and I will be buying some more ballasts to do that. The technique of overdriving fluorescent lights has been discussed in several message threads here.

ZM
    (Not associated with any product or vendor mentioned)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

You don't have to use twice as many ballasts just use one for twice as many lights.
    Are you using a timer?

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

My cheap Walmart fixtures did that last year drove my nuts. Ha Ha To make the story short run them in for a week or two before returning them. Don't ask me why but mine would blink or go on and off. It took 2-3 weeks of that then they were OK. they have worked for a year now with no problems at all. It is possible that the t-8 bulbs needed to be ran in? Mine look just like yours.

Curt

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info.

And thanks curt, I will give them some more time and see if they stabilize.

Taz, yes, I am using a digital Imtermatic timer.

Jamie

• taz6122
    13 years ago

That could be part of the problem. You should not use digital timers with fluorescents. If you had read the directions you would have noticed that. You should use a mechanical timer.

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm. I saw no warning on the timer, it is rater for inductive, resistive and motor load. I used this same timer to run a T12 fixture for over a year with no problem and that fixture is still running. I had asked an electrician about this setup as well and he did indicate that some timers can be a problem, I told him I was using the digital Intermatic and what it said about inductive, restive and motor load on the tag and he indicated it was fine.

I have a manual plug in timer, but it says the exact same thing about being rated for inductive, resistance and a motor load. The problem with the manual timer is that it is not grounded.

I can put in a hard wired mechanical timer if I need to.

What problems do the digital timers normally cause?

Jamie

• taz6122
    13 years ago

When the lights come on there's a power surge and that can fry electronics. Check the instructions for the lights not the timer.

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was the electronic timer I asked the electrician about. I looked up the manual for the electronic timer and there isn't anything in it that says not to use it with florescent fixtures.

I can put a clamp meter on it and see what the inrush current is.

However, it has been 5 days and all the fixtures have continued to work, so maybe I did just have some glitchy fixtures.

Manual timer package, this is the one that does not have the ground, so I am not using this one, but it is the same brand as the electronic one I am using:

Electronic timer I am using:

Please let me know if you do think I have misinformation about this timer.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes as a little more time passes.

Jamie

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Check the instructions for the lights not the timer

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry. I checked the lights directions this time. There is no mention of not using a timer, only says not to use a dimmer.

Jamie

• hill60
    13 years ago

I have 10 T8 shop lights none of the fixtures or the lights said anything about not using digital timers. My CFL lights say not to use digital timers. It was the use of them that had me seeking information on the type of timers to use. Had I not had them I would not have known the difference.

I really hate when people yell to get their point across it. It shuts me off as far as listening to anything they may have to say even if the info is correct.

Thanks I will now go back to learning and lurking.

Hill60

I have come across information as I learn a

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

Just for what it is worth my timer is one of the old 24 hr. dial and peg type. So that was not the cause of the flickering on and off. I also direct plugged into the wall socket to test them and they did the same thing. My bulbs are GE 32watt 41k t-8.

Curt

• amigatec
    13 years ago

The problem is the cheap fixtures. I have 5 of them and most have been replaced, some work and some don't. The ballast are a cheap electronic type, I have ballasts to replace them so I can overdrive them.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County