Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaslan

Halogen work light & UV radiation

yaslan
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a halogen work light (500 watt) for $12 bucks. It seems to be working pretty good and my plants are thriving. But I am a bit concerned about the UV Radiation warning (until I receive more concrete information; I have unplugged it).

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you & happy growing.

-Bo

Comments (7)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

What exactly is it you're worried about? UV radiation is the missing element in some lighting. You can get a tan from it or even burnt if you stay under it too long. Colored cloth will fade. I think some interior paint will also fade. It is what causes skin cancer if exposed to it for long periods. Most plants need very little if any and halogens don't supply the right color temps for plants. Did I miss anything?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention too much heat âº

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Taz - Thanks for responding and ya didn't miss anything.

Is it safe to use this halgoen 500 watt work light around my plants and people for 6-8 hours a day? I was concerned about too much UV radiation. Do you know what is considered excessive? Also, I was trying to save money by using this halogen work light but I don't know if it will work out.

-Bo

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what is acceptable as far as UV but I wouldn't stand in front of it all day. You're not saving any $ either unless you're talking about purchase price vs HPS/MH. Fluorescents will save you some $ and deliver the right colors for your plants. For my grow area I use 6 double bulb 4' shop lights at around 660 watts(3 overdriven x2). I've got 55 plants in the area with room for about 10 more. One of the plants is an 10' Sungold Select tomato plant that has been producing fruit for a couple months now. It's a little leggy but that's not that important. I was growing it out to get some seed for spring but since the fruit are so good(IMO) I'll keep it till one of the cuttings starts producing. I've already got all the seed I'll need. I've also started some Black Brandywine and Green Grape tomatoes inside. Can't wait to taste fruit from them.

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Taz, do you have pics of your set up (I'd love to see it). Or has it already been posted, if so, then I'll do a search.

-Bo

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Pics of the setup last winter are posted here. Link below. No tomato plants then. I'll try to take another pic tomorrow with the tomato plant. I'm going to have to get inventive in how to coil the plant as to not take up too much room. I plan on growing 2-3 more different types over the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post Your Grow Light Setup

• HU-311272822
    6 months ago

About how much does that setup cost you per month in electric over your regular bill?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012