Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I tell if plants are long- or short-day?

Posted by bcake Southern Sweden (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 14, 11 at 3:56

I'm performing a research to see if artificial light from street lamps affects the growth and shedding of plant leaves.

In order for me to discuss my results I have to know if these plants are long-day or short-day plants.

The way I understand it from having researched, my plants are long-day plants as they are blooming in the spring when there is more than ~6hrs of sun per day.

But is bloom time only when actual flowers bloom or can it be when the leaves sprout? The way I see it it's when the plants comes out of dormancy, whether that be in the spring or in the fall. But trees such as a few varieties of Oak defy this as their flowers grow prior to their leaves. It really confuses me as to what can be called long-day plant.

The plants in question are:

Species 1. Lilac - Syringa vulgaris.
s.2. Cherry - Prunus avium
s.3. Maple - Crimson King
s.4. Spiraea
s.6 Sycamore
s.8 London Plane
s.10 Hawthorn - Crataegus sp.
s.12 Willow - Salix sp.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I tell if plants are long- or short-day?

Long days!! I think!

Cherry like peach is a long day that needs that cold part of the year.

I would like to see your results, please post them. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here