Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flourescent Light Model

Posted by halfway (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 6:06

Thought I would post this as this is as cheap a set I have found that delivers high quality. American Fluorescent Model 234SLESW. This is a 48", 2 bulb, T8 or T12 compatible shop light with instant start and a pull cord. I connect these to light timers and they work very well.

I have a local box store (Menards) that routinely puts this model on sale and then adds either a store or manufacturers coupon. The total price ends up around $9. This is the best I have found and I now own several for my starts and hydroponic growing.

Paired with 6500K Sylvania T8 bulbs, this is a pretty effective and efficient light setup.

I have no affiliation with any of the above, but maybe someone can use the tip.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Adventure:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flourescent Light Model

• Posted by zenman Ottawa, KS 5b (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 10:50

Getting those for $9 is a pretty good trick. Amazon wants $17.89 for them.

ZM

o
RE: Flourescent Light Model

This is the light setup I use with the above mentioned shop lights for starts and hydroponic lettuce and herbs. The amount of light covers standard 72 plug starter trays sideways for maximum space utilization. The items used to link the lights together are simple tent poles from a surplus store. Dowels or re-rod would work just as well. The trick is to get the lights all horizontal and fixed to allow the raising of the unit by only one fixed point.

Since the lights need to be very close to the plants, I quickly tired of adjusting the chains up and down, so I bought a set of locking rope pulleys. Those were well worth the $20 bucks or so. Not sure of the brand name off the top of my head, but they can be found online through hydro dealers.

And yes, getting these for $9 makes it very frustrating when I need a set(s) and they are not on sale!!!! Like now, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Adventure In Hydroponics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here