Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Halogen grow lights

Posted by mrsmudge z5 norVA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 04 at 8:10

I've been reading these posts for awhile and I think I've figured out from all the experts what type of lighting I need to buy without spending a fortune. But has anyone heard of halogen grow lights? I found some advertised on the web, but I would be really concerned about the amount of heat put out by halogens. Would this be a good or bad thing? Can the heat be tempered by distance from the seedlings?

mrsmudge

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Halogen grow lights

Have never seen halogens recommended for growing - quite the opposite.

o

The "grow light" I ran across is 500W halogen, 10,500 lumens. Purported to grow stronger seedlings.

mrsmudge

o

• Posted by GaWd z9/10 NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 31, 04 at 9:57

You might want to post the location of the webpage adertising this. Halogens are generally considered poor light sources for growing. I'd be interested in taking a look at it though.

Sam

o

Ditto, assuming as I do that you mean quart halogen? The spectrum of quartz halogen lamps is terrible for plant growth. It'd be OK if you're just trying to manipulate photoperiod but that's about it. The fixtures are cheap enough, but it'd basically be a waste of electricity. And spectrum aside, that lumen rating is pretty pathetic for 500W of power consumption, to boot!

o

I found this on ebay. My suspicion is that someone was trying to find a new and better way to pull a fast one. I just wanted to check with the experts, though.

Lin

o

Yup. As is so often the case on Ebay, it's not so much "Buyer, beware" as "Buyer, duck and cover." LOL

o

Yea, I've seen halogen security lights being sold as grow lights on eBay.. cheap but useless. The spectrum's not that bad really, it's just the very bad efficiency (worst of any artificial light) and high heat output that makes them unusable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here