Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardiocrinium

Is the aquarium lighting community more enlightened?

cardiocrinium
16 years ago

This new treads initial post is very long and perhaps over-rambling I am the first to admit. I am sure my subsequent posts to this thread will be much shorter and more narrowly focused. Posting to this forum is not the most user-friendly I have seen so bear with me until I learn how to insert an live hyperlink rather than a text URL, and to post photos and images. (Yes, I know it is simple HTML stuff, but Garden Web, I hope you eventually take pity and make things simpler for a simpleton like me. Forum X and forum Y did. But thanks for just being here and thanks for being totally free.)

Since IÂm going to blab so much in this post, I feel beholden to provide some disclosures and background. I am a gardening enthusiast (terrestrial gardening that is) who is interested in plant lighting because I want to grow LEGAL plants under lights during the winter in my basement where no sunlight is available. Buy me a nice greenhouse and I will change my mind. :) Over the years I have toyed with growing under lights but I know I can do it much more effectively and efficiently. I am not connected in anyway to the lighting industry, manufacturing or sales, and I make no money promoting one thing over another thing. I have a BS degree in botany and a fairly decent grasp of what science should be applicable to plant lighting. Have to admit it has been a long time since I had to think about or do higher math or physics problems but remember a principle or two. I donÂt mind at all deferring to those who can provide what I consider to be credible information. I understand what "the literature" means and if you want to split hairs, you should too. So without further ado ....

If you have been studying plant lighting for any length of time, you are surely realizing the controversy over what

Specifications and terms are truly useful for this kind of lighting. Lumens? Color temperature? PAR? PUR? PPFD? yada yada yada. Lumens, rated watts and color temperature dominate the performance specs we can get on plant light bulbs. Most of those specs are meant to apply to way people see and use light, not the way plants "see" and use light. I've come to believe that to talk about quantity of plant lighting, PPFD is about the best thing going and we should be using that rather than lumens. You can have two different 400w bulbs; the one with the higher lumens output might well have a lower PPFD than the lower lumens bulbs. So much for comparing plant light bulbs mostly on the basis of lumens. If you know the PPFD performance of a bulb and the PPFD/watt, as far as plant growth is concerned, the lumens output is irrelevant. Yes, I said it, irrelevant.

Then there is issue of quality of light; the light distribution across the plant physiologically active spectrum. Just in case you didn't notice, I said physiologically active not photosynthetically active. Wavelengths outside the 400-700 nm zone do matter, but for the backbone of photosynthesis, 400-700 nm is the zone of most concern and as such is the zone from which PAR and PPFD are derived. As a quality of light measure the status quo plant lighting market typically provides us with a color temperature spec and says choose on the basis of that. If you understand what a spectral curve is and anything about basic statistics, you begin to see the limitations of color temperature. Some few try to be a little more sophisticated and give us a spectral chart. Don't you love those charts where you can't read any of the numbers on the X & Y axes? Thanks guys. Oh, of course you might want to also note that you might see the same chart used for two different models, even classes of bulbs. Not possible, so who's lying? Of those that provide charts, almost all use a relative % measure on the Y-axis. Better than nothing but what you really want on the Y-axis is some absolute measure of the light. The measure I'm seeing the most is irradiance (watts/m2/nm).

After a few weeks of intensive searching and sifting through the online gardening community I was getting very

frustrated and discouraged with how little of the "good stuff" I could glean. Then one day, I donÂt even remember how, I found myself reading a thread in an aquarium forum, specifically this reef-keepers forum.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/search.php?mode=results

Reefers are intensively interested in photosynthesis. Why? Live coral is an animal/algae symbiotic combo and for coral to stay alive for the long haul rather than slowly die, the algae have to be happily photosynthesizing.

After reading through several lighting related threads it dawned upon me that I was rarely seeing anybody mention lumens. Could this be true!!? There was a lot of discussion about color temperature and the appearance of the tank to people - colors, brightness, etc. I gained an impression that, on the whole, these people really knew the difference between lighting that is aimed at producing a desirable appearance to people and lighting that is aimed at keeping the coral (algae) happy. Now isn't this refreshing!!??

To rough and dirty self-test my contention that aquarium folks donÂt seem too interested in lumens, I just now went to the same forum (it is the one I have used the most) and did some keyword searching .

I searched for the word "lumen" and got 132 threads

I would have liked to search for "PAR" but was not able to figure out if or how you could filter out words like "park".

I did a search for "PPFD" and got 47 threads. There are 2.8 times more threads with lumens than threads with PPFD. More lumens than PPFD, so does that mean that lumens is a more useful term than PPFD?

I searched for threads that contain both the words "lumens" and "PPFD" and got 6 returns. I only skim read the returns but I think they will be enlightening. Remember, the premise of this thread is "Is the aquarium community more enlightened than the gardening community?" Check the six threads that I got:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=104969&highlight=lumens

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85405&highlight=lumens+ppfd

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52533&highlight=lumens+ppfd

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44327&highlight=lumens+ppfd

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44327&highlight=lumens+ppfd

I think reading through those threads reveals what the reefers community thinks about lumens vis a vis PAR and PPFD. They also reveal the nature of the discussions you tend to find in the aquarium forums; civil (ranting and flaming rarely occurs), factual, topically focused, objectively focused rather than subjectively. The kinds of threads that really help someone who is trying to efficiently learn about aquarium lighting. How many of us trying to learn about plant lighting have been disappointed by the overall quality of the gardening threads where plant lighting at issue?

Next I searched the Garden Web forum for "lumens" and got 393 threads.

Again I could not do a valid search for the word "PAR".

I did a search for "PPFD" and got 3 threads. There are 131 times more threads that contain the term lumens than the term PPFD. Remember that for the aquarium forum the number was 2.8. Can anything be inferred from this?

Go the aquarium forums and test things out for yourself. I have little history in the online gardening community so there is not a lot on which you can objectively access my credibility. You need to check out my contentions for yourself. If anybody does, whatÂs your assessment?

HereÂs another aquarium forum. I tried to repeat the keyword searches but unfortunately it appears you have to register to do that, which I havenÂt taken the time to do. If anyone does, what did you find? therehttp://reefcentral.com/forums/index.php?s=f8e1df49ffecc390139e7eff0e00c96c

There appears to be a core of aquarium professionals and enthusiasts who are serious about comparing aquarium bulbs in an objective manner and providing their finding to online aquarium community at large. I have read though many, many garden forum threads and done many web searches but so far I have found very, very little of this type comparison of terrestrial plant light bulbs. As an example, check out the article below. Note that the Sunmaster Cool Deluxe is one of the bulbs. This bulb is also marketed to terrestrial plant growers using the same name. Be sure to note how it compares to the other bulbs. A warning, it is impossible to read the numbers on the axes of the spectral plots provided for each bulb. Worry not, there is an external site where you can access the same information provided in this article and the spectral plots there are higher resolution and totally readable. IÂll link you to that further down.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/feature2.htm

Sunmaster doesnÂt compare so great huh?

One of that articleÂs authors, Sanjay Joshi, is the most prolific of the bulb comparers. He has a website and one page contains hyperlinks to all his comparison articles.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/articles.htm

You will note that he does not discuss or compare lumens at all. The only measure of light he provides in tabular form is PPFD. And he does not settle for one test using one ballast, he tests each bulb on several different ballasts. What a guy! You will note not only do the test results vary widely from bulb to bulb; the results also vary widely for the same bulb matched up with different ballasts. Who would have thought? He provides a spectral chart for every bulb that uses on the Y-axis an absolute measurement of light, which I had noted before was better than a relative measurement. The measurement used is irradiance, which is equal to watts/m2/nm. I have to admit that I have not taken the time to fully understand whether or not this measurement is calculated solely on the basis of PAR or on the total emitted radiation of the bulb. Can someone speak to this? (BTW, found out in one of JoshiÂs early articles that the PPFD readings are taken at a distance of 18 inches below the bulb and no reflector is used during testing.)

As I noted you cannot read the numbers of the spectral charts in the articles. For that you need to go a database that Mr. Joshi maintains on his web site. The database has 900+ records of tests performed on bulbs, absolutely incredible! You have to go through a selection process to bring up the results for any particular bulb/ballast combination. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to do it right. Would have been easier if I had read his instructions. LOL

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/select-one-lamp.php

There is also a page that allows you to compare two bulbs at a time. Go to the homepage and menu drop off Spectral Plots.

I later found this forum page that deals with some problems users were having using the database. I havenÂt needed to read it but it may help if you run into problems.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58306&highlight=

Unfortunately aquarium people are not concerned with light on the red end of the spectrum so they never bother with HPS lighting and their sites will be of little use for HPS specific issues. But they are very interested in the blue end of the spectrum and as a result their sites are a wealth of knowledge on metal halide (MH) lighting. Also fluorescents but since IÂm not particularly interested in that type lighting, I have not read threads dealing with fluorescents. As mentioned before, of the brand name plant bulbs I have seen advertised, the Sunmaster Cool Deluxe 400w was the only I saw compared as an aquarium bulb. I feel quite positive that a lot of the brand name bulbs marketed with to the aquarium crowd are also marketed to the gardening crowd but under a different brand name. If others can speak to this, please do. But in the end IÂve come to not really care whether I find the gardening named MH bulbs in their sites or not. I am quite comfortable that the best performing aquarium MH plant lights will match or exceed anything I can buy under a gardening brand name. The aquarium bulbs on average seem to be a few dollars cheaper than the gardening bulbs, so there! LOL (BTW, IÂm about to buy two EVC 400W 10000K bulbs and two Magnetek M59 ballasts for my seedling nursery. Wonder why?)

Now for a little crying in my beer before I end this post. I admire and am envious of the manner in which the online reef-keeper community addresses aquarium lighting. It is obvious they are passionate about their work or hobby. However, this is also true of the garden community. There are so many horticultural professionals out there, many of which are paid to help people garden better. So help us. What Sanjay Joshi and his peers have done for the online aquarium community I would love to see done for the gardening community. Must we depend on the plant lighting marketing industry to help us? Lord help us if we do! Check out the marketers of aquarium lighting equipment. They are no better than the gardening light marketers; hype, little hard data, high prices. It is the user community that must rise to the challenge. The challenge is on.

I have a number of observations and speculations concerning the state of things within the plant lighting arena, and even a few disclaimers about the applicability of the aquarium light data. I have many unanswered questions as well. IÂll save those for future posts. I am sure many of you are very thankful for that. ;-)

Comments (8)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

More enlightened? Or more obsessive? LOL, just my little joke!

So PPFD is better than lumens, no news there. But we don't have PPFD measurements for 99% of the equipment we want to buy. I can't tell someone to go out and get a lamp that gives at least 200 PPFD units (you'll have to assume the right symbols because I don't have them on my keyboard). As sson as your database of PPFD measurements is finished for every lamp in the country, let me know ;)

Given that we generally only have lumens (or possibly just power in watts) for our lights, it is possibly to estimate PPFD based on the spectrum type. Just to get you started, 1000 foot-candles HPS is 110 PPFD units and this is very accurate for any standard HPS. It may interest you to know that essentially all "white" (3000K-6500K) fluorescent and metal halide lighting has PPFD between about 110 and 150 at 1,000fc. It may interest some people further to note that a GroLux fluorescent has PPFD of 291 at 1,000fc. So the GruLux is actually producing higher PPFD (per watt) than any other fluorescent or HID light source, worth thinking about for anyone who thinks PPFD is the only way to go. Lumens are such a poor measure of wavelengths in the violet part of the spectrum near 400nm that rule of thumb conversions for the very blue lights sources used in aquariums are not possible, but then lumens are rarely quote for such light sources anyway, hence the need for individual measurements. PPFD can be calculated very easily for monochromatic light sources, either from watts or lumens.

Unfortunately aquarium people are not concerned with light on the red end of the spectrum so they never bother with HPS lighting
    Yes, unfortunate. Add in the fact that they are rarely interested in any bulb more powerful than 400W, usually only 250W, and HPS would likely be a poor choice anyway. But no matter, other reference sources will show you PPFD for HPS lamps if you are really interested. It is in fact astonishingly easy to convert from lumens to PPFD since a standard HPS spectrum is almost exactly the same for all lamps.

Sunmaster doesnt compare so great huh?
    There are a couple of things to note here. One is that you appear to have misunderstood the data. Yes, the Sunmaster performs worst on the wrong ballast (lesson for today, do not run a probe start bulb on a pulse start ballast) but is almost identical to the majority of the bulbs on the other ballasts. The second point to note is that the experimental data is flawed in an important way. The method of measuring the flux with the spectroradiometer systematically under-estimates PPFD for light sources with a spiky spectrum, hence the main reason for the apparently radically better XM 10000K bulb. To what extent this may mimic nature is an interesting topic for discussion. My conclusion from the data is that none of these lamps is radically different in PPFD output to any of the others. I would barely know where to start choosing an aquarium bulb, but given this sort of data for a regular plant light, I would make my choice based on other factors such as price, lumen maintenance (PPFD maintenance?), and lifetime.

My final plea for now is that you keep learning about these important concepts, but please please move into the 21st century. Dig a little deeper, look at the tests on the used metal halides, look at the comparisons between magnetic and electronic ballasts, and you will rapidly discover that 99% of all the equipment that has been tested is obsolete and you shouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. Old-style metal halide lamps age so badly that you really need to throw them away after a thousand hours or so. On that basis, any additional cost for pulse start or electronic ballasts is worth it.

Oh and a reminder also: get over the obsession with big CCT numbers unless you are planning to grow coral or shine your light through a foot of water before it hits your plants ;)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    16 years ago

There are very different needs for aquariums and for growing plants, needless to say.

Aquariums need not much light of completely different spectrum characteristics 24/7, 365 days in small areas and aesthetic is also important consideration. Temperature control is critical.

Planting requires lots of light of spectrum characteristics depending of objectives and environment: (not talking about clandestine agriculture)
    1. Basement seed starting.
    2. Greenhouse flowering.
    3. Seedling growing.

Most of the time, lighting is needed for a short period of time during the year, and most of the time aesthetics is not a consideration at all.

Also, plants are extremely tolerant of varying lighting conditions.

You really cannot combine the two situations.

dcarch

• object16
    16 years ago

I agree with shrubs_n_bulbs and dcarch. While it is useful to study the aquarium community, because they are very obsessed and very knowledgeable, you do definitely learn a lot. Unfortunately there are just not too many people participating in this forum and some of the people just seem to be here to sell lamps and spread misinformation. Our local lamp salesman should have banned long time ago.
    (New lamps for old! New lamps for old!)

FWIW in my other life, I'm a senior pathologist, who is rather obsessed with perfection himself. In my professional life and in my hobby life, I like to go all the way, understand it all to the maximum that I am able to, and apply my knowledge to the utmost. My most inspiring person is Henry Kuska, who is a member of this forum, and who applies theory, scientific method, painstaking dedication, sweat, and generosity, all tempered with what is practical, and how can resources be applied most efficiently. Henry got me started on indoor gardening, and I have been going strong ever since. I think I started out with germination of rugosa achenes about 6 years ago. For that reason I commend shrub's comments most highly, please take 100% heed of them, because I completely endorse them. My viewpoint is also a very practical one, and although I am blessed that I can afford just about any gizmo or setup my heart would desire, I restrict myself however, I don't just go out and get the "newest and the best", don't play into manufacturer's hype, learn how to recognize real data from bogus. My holy grail is "most bang for the buck". I work hard for my money, and I try to spend it as wisely as I am able.
    The aquarium community is very good at evaluating reflectors, that's why I bought myself some lumenmax reflectors, although they're bent metal, the bends to the first approximation if a full parabola. I recommend them.
    Choice of lamps: Pulse start metal halide, blows away conventional halide by a country mile, there is absolutely no reason why anyone should use probe start for growing on land. Venture lamps sold by businesslights.com have a perfect spectrum for vegetative, can be run continuously, and in that mode last up to 30,000 hours. For general growing, a ratio of 2 x HPS : 1 x MH maximizes the terrific growing power of the sodium lamp and adds the blue spectrum that is critical for synthesis of chlorophyll and to discourage stem elongation.
    Try to design your garden so that it has at least 3 "sides", and cover the sides with mylar. A garden illuminated by 2 lamps, and surrounded by mylar, due to reflection, is equivalent of a garden out in the open illuminated with 3 lamps. For example I built a grow-closet, and lined all 4 sides by mylar, but my next project is to have a garden across the short dimension of a room that has kind of a 8' alcove. The back and sides of the "alcove" are covered in mylar, and the front is open, for general viewing, and access to work on it. Practical things and attention to detail is always critically important.
    The aquarium community must grapple with very high scattering losses of water. Scattering is proportional to wavelength (why the sky is blue), and for any useful light to reach the bottom of the aquarium, it must be top heavy with very short wavelength (blue violet). Aquarium owners also grow beautiful ?coral or other vegetation, they have colorful fish, and the extremely high color lamps are essential for the esthetics. Remember, the aquarium owner is buying it for pleasure to look at, we are buying for maximum size of crop for us to eat (vegetables and fruits), admire (various ornamental plant), or smoke, as the case may be. So while I am grateful to the aquarium community, and like yourself have read over extensively the forum discussions, the bottom line is I adapt what I learn there and apply it to land farming. Also why I study the cannabis growing forum, but due to LEO, the best forum overgrow.com was shut down. If you visit plantlightinghydroponics.com you will even notice that under their horticultural lamp selection, they superimpose the photosynthesis activity spectrum with the spectal output of the lamps they sell. However, the regular horizontal 400W pulse start Venture metal halide lamp sold in the sister company businesslights.com has the exact same spectral output as a SunMaster "horticultural vegetative" lamp, but has higher lumen output and longer lumen maintenance.Paul Mozarowski.

• object16
    16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention, due to marketing strategy, the same lamp can be sold for warehouse lighting at one price, and re labelled for "horticultural" and jack up the price x 3, because they think we're stupid. In fact the commercial lamp is actually better because of higher initial lumens, higher maintained lumens. Because the manufacturer does not measure
    PAR, or does a b*s "PAR" evaluation that I don't believe, does not means that comparing lumens is bogus. It's the best we have, and when you look at the Photosynthesis Action Spectrum, it's really hard for me to understand why for our pursposes, measurement of lumens is that far off. For example to extremely effective Gavita lamp only has specs for lumens, and it's a hard core horticultural lamp. Note, I am in the doctoring profession, and I have absolutely no ties to lamp manufacturers, I wish I did. I work hard for my money, and I buy the best lamps I can get for the money, but without compromising final results. Why can a Venture pulse start lamp sell for $30, and an inferior Sunmaster probe start "vegetative horticultural" sell for 3x that. And the Venture will outperform the Sunmaster. Answer, because they think we're stupid. The corporation will always maximize the bottom line. They're not in it for public service, they just look at one thing : profit. That is why Jesus Christ said "tear down this temple! and I will rebuild it in 3 day", because the people were being ripped off by a "corporate style" church that was selling the bogus goods, whereas JC sells the real thing for free, which is much better. Same principle applies in gardening.
    Paul Mozarowski.

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

The opening poster might want to consider just buying a few shop lights and growing plants, rather than worrying about qualifying for a doctorate in the physical chemistry of lumenology. :)

• cardiocrinium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some good points guys. Lots to ponder. Have company for a few days so less time to spend online. Have more response comments and questions than I will be able to put in this post. However, a few things.

As far as my title "Is the aquarium lighting community more enlightened?" goes, that was as much rhetorical as anything else. I was trying to allude to the manner in which the aquarium community as a whole addresses their issues of plan lighting. I was NOT endorsing their lighting as applicable to land plants. The central point of my post was to motivate the gardening community to address OUR type of lighting issues with the objectivity and diligence that the aquarium addresses theirs.

However, I did imply that SOME aquarium lights are as good or better for land gardening as SOME plant lights. We all know perfectly well that there are a lot of bulbs than have cross applications and are even branded with different names to market them to separate crowds. Why is it so blasphemous to say an aquarium bulb could be used on a plant.

I dont have time to say much more, but there are quite a few places where you alluded to places where I could find data "if I want to". I want to, I want to! If you know of a good place to find data PLEASE tell me how I can access it. I love references and URLs. You have provided me with many wonderful numbers and facts but rarely tell me how I can go to the source.

You raise some good points about probe start MH but I think you vilify it more than it deserves. And Shrubs n bulbs, the age of a technology in no way implies whether it is antiquated or not. I have never bothered to replace my CRT monitors. CRT was developed what, in the 30s? gasp the 20th century? The LCDs are nice and light and all that so they do have certain advantages. However, the quality of the screen image on even the best LCD does not match that of standard CRT technology.

When I have more time I want to discuss the bulbs more. I dont think you are looking at the spectral charts and test result numbers for the better performing probe starts from a dispassionate perspective. I am very aware that the probe starts have shorter lives and that is certainly a downside. Im not dismissing the issues you raise, but you havent lead me to much published data to show from where you drawn your inferences.
    Shrubs n bulbs; Im not obsessed with color temps. Most time I am just using them for purposes of naming or reference. I look to spectral charts for "color" issues.
    Object16, I appreciate your keeping your direct observation of how your plants have performed under such and such light. In the final analysis that is all that really matters isnt it?

• object16
    16 years ago

Your basic 4000K (or any other K for that matter) Halide lamp generally has a given mix of rare earth elements that give off specific line discharge. The line discharge is exactly the same with either technology. The only difference is in brightness, which is what the plant uses, and that's why we recommend pulse start - more light, more maintained light, longer life = lower price per photon, and less lamp changes = lower operating cost. If you don't mind paying more for the same thing, then by all means. I just happen to like the idea that I can leave a halide lamp on continuous, and it will last for 30,000 hours with an electronic ballast. Buy less lamps = less transport costs, less landfill waste, more money in my pocket, more money to buy other goodies. Also, as gardeners, we have an obligation to the earth to be as efficient on resources as possible. If we can get more lumens per watt, for less cost, then it is our obligation to do so. I like Ushio, they're a smart company:
    http://ushio.com/products/generallighting/mh-aqualite.htm
    shows an explanation for the aquarium lights they sell
    Next link is to their pulse strike page.
    http://ushio.com/products/generallighting/mh-pulsestrike-difference.htm
    Pulse strike produces up to 105lm/w. Standard halide begins life at 80lm/s and their light output may rapidly decrease over time. Ushio tells us that pulse strike is 40% more efficient over the life of the lamp. If you want to pay 40% more per lumen, then by all means, but I work hard for my money, so I want all the lumens I can get.
    I cannot find the Ushio line spectrum, but you can get an idea from the line spectrum on the businesslights.com site, of what to expect with a Venture 400K lamp. Notice the abundant 400-440 peak. You will get the same in the pulse start, just more photons per watt, like 40%more, which is almost like a 400 watt new technology lamp performing like a 600 watt (old technology) lamp.
    http://www.businesslights.com/venture-400w-4000k-ed37-horizontal-metal-halide-lamp-case6-p-301.html

• object16
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention, ur comparison to cathode ray monitors does not pertain to this discussion. Sure cathode ray has nice resolution, but we're not after resolution here, we're after brute force lumen output. Anyway, just because u still use your out of date monitor and like it, I also use an out of date monitor at work, but lcd wins hands down. I have a beautiful 22 " widescreen monitor at home that I wouldn't trade for any crt monitor screen. I am well off enough that I can choose whatever I want to have, but there is no way I would buy a crt monitor. If I was poverty stricken, I might pick one up for 10 bucks, but luckily I have more means than that. Even graphic artists and designers now use lcd monitors. Also the additional drain on the grid, and the power consumption means that we must use the most efficient way of carrying out our lives. pm.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio