Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CRI vs. Color temp.

Posted by e-w-031 none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 10:43

I'm trying to decide between a couple of CFL bulbs for supplemental lighting. One option is 5600k and 91 CRI, the other is 6500k and 80 CRI.

Am I right in guessing that the color temp matters more to plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CRI vs. Color temp.

CRI and Color temp are basically the same thing. They are both measures in how we "see" an illuminated object. How that affects plants is subject to debate.

Latest research has shown that PAR (photosynthetically available radiation) is more important since lux, lumens, CRI and color temp are how our eyes 'see' things.

It is well worth doing some research on.

Have a great day,

SCG

o

Thanks SCG. I was just reading on a thread here long ago that CRI doesn't matter to plants. I beleive I know what you are saying, but one problem is that sometimes it's hard to even get basic data about a bulb from online listings. PAR for example, I've not seen this listed for any CFL I've looked at. This means I'm just sort of winging it I guess. But at least now I'm not going to agonize over color temp.

o

In my opinion (reiterate "my" ~ and nothing more than an opinion), I think you would be fine using either one of the bulbs you mentioned above, and with a higher CRI (80-100) light source 'things' can look better.

Included a link worthy of review:
http://lowel.com/edu/color_temperature_and_rendering_
demystified.html

Although the above link is geared more at giving an overview of acceptable color rendering index for professional imaging, it has usable information that can be applied to growing under lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here