Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone here use Oasis and/or Steady Grow blocks?

Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 14:06

I've been using Oasis and Steady Grow blocks since I have found local shops that price them very well, and they allow me to grow plants that usually hate being transplanted. However, I'm still learning, and I'm wondering if anyone has any general advice/tips/stories/etc.

I'd post this in the hydroponics section, except I use these only to start seeds that will go outside in my garden eventually.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone here use Oasis and/or Steady Grow blocks?

No, I would never use them. I don't want my soil littered with synthetic pieces of Oasis. If I'm growing something that doesn't like transplanting I use newspaper pots that I make. Then I can plant the whole thing and the paper will rot down to soil.

Making paper pots is easy. Find a jar or dowel something that has a flat bottom. I use a piece of broom handle cut flat and level so my pot sits straight. Measure the height you want your pot and 3/4 of the way across the bottom. Now cut strips of the black pages of the newspaper the width of your measurement and long enough to go twice around your dowel. Once you have the strips cut the rest is easy. Immerse your strip in a tub of warm water and lay it flat on a table. Put your dowel or bottle on one end and roll it around twice. On the bottom fold in the paper like you would a coin wrapper. Carefully lift it off the dowel and set aside on a flat surface to dry. Fill with a good well draining soilless mix. I put them in a tray, plant the seed and leave them there until I plant them out

o

• Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 19:57

I've used newspaper pots before- those are fun!

However, I quickly had trouble with all sorts of mold- a few sprouted little mushrooms. Granted, it's more my luck- no matter how hard I scrub things down, mold happens. :)

I can understand not wanting synthetic materials in your soil, though; it's one of the reasons I avoid rockwool.

o

Oasis cubes aren't for outside use, as they are made from foam. If you want something for outside, you can use rockwool, but newspaper pots or peat pellets would be better.
using dirt in a starter tray is popular too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here