Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
incandescent to cfl - heat conversion

Posted by komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 07 at 14:17

Hi all,

Is there a way to make a logical determination as to how bright a cfl can be substituted for an incandescent bulb?
My main concern is how much heat is created and whether the shade/reflector/wiring etc will stand it.

For example, I have an exo terra hood for a viv. It says max 26W incandescent. A "100W" CFL is 23W. Safe to use or no?

Clearly I've forgotten my basic physics, as this strikes me as a question that should be easily answered.

Right now I'm thinking of running the lights for 14 hrs but with 1 or 2 breaks during the day to prevent the air in the case from getting too hot. (This would also let the light fixture cool off a bit.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: incandescent to cfl - heat conversion

safe. The heat produced is the number of watts. The light produced is the Lumens/watt. Irrespective of the type of lighting, the eventual product is heat, as only a tiny amount of the light energy is actually captures as plant sugars. Paul Mozarowski.

o

• Posted by komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 10, 07 at 23:00

So 23W is 23W. Simple. Thanks!

o

So now that lamp that was barely bright enough at 26W (incadescent) is a real searchlight at 26W (CFL) :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here