Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

bulb question

I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30) (link below) into a lamp and was using it as a plant grow light. For about 2 weeks. It was working. My plants were responding. Then it started to flicker, and smell, so I disconnected the lamp and removed the bulb.
It is an old lamp and the only information I can find on it is - 250 V, 660 W.
I know most people on this forum are using the fluorescent tubes, but I'm wondering if anyone here has some knowledge that would help me.

Does it appear that the bulb I had should not have gone into that fixture?

I bought a new lamp which says it can take max of 60 Watts, so I cannot use the Philips bulb with that either. I put in the new lamp an Ecobulb daylight, 200 W equivalent, uses only 40 watts.

But this bulb does not give off as much light, acc. to my meter, as the Philips.

So I have to get a lamp which can take this Philips bulb.

My question: did I ruin the first lamp bec. the bulb was too high watt?

Hope I made my question comprehensible. :) Appreciate any feed-back .

Here is a link that might be useful: Philips bulb

Comments (5)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Sounds like old wiring to me. Sometimes sockets get loosened over time and when you put in the bulbs it twists on the wires.

• Dtunesgw
    9 years ago

Hi Ellenr,

It looks like your original light was an incandescent bulb and you replaced it with a compact fluorescent(CFL) which is a good idea regardless of your issues. CooperDR makes a good point, you could test the old bulb in another lamp. Finding one rated for 75w probably wouldn't be to hard for a short term test. Also keep in mind, incandescent lights are fragile and don't last very long, you could have a bad bulb.

While I don't always believe the "equivalent" ratings, the CFl is likely much more suited to growing than any incandescent light(including grow lights). There are a couple reasons the light meter might show a lesser value:

1. The meter picks up a specific wave length(s) of light. That spectrum could make up a lesser % of the light output from the CFL as the incandescent, so it seems weaker to the meter.

2. Fluorescent lights emit more diffuse light. The intensity goes down quickly as you move away from the light. The incandescent has a reflective coating so it concentrates the light in to a smaller area which is were you put the meter. I.E. all the light is coming out of the front of the bulb, where the CFL is emitting light in all directions.

I don't know what your growing setup is like, but you should use the CFL differently. Since they are much cooler you can put them very close to the plant, ie 1-3 inches. You can't do that with an incandescent since they throw off a lot of heat. I think your plant(s) will be much happier under the CFL. Just put it as close as possible to the plant.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

Just a few minor points, most of which I'm sure you know. But some may not, so...

All light diminishes by the square of the distance regardless of type of bulb. Directed/reflected light can be more intense light as there is more going in the direction. Lighting fixtures suggest a certain maximum watt bulb, but those are geared to incandescents. It is the wiring but also the socket that determines that. So you can "over watt equivalent" most lighting fixtures with fluorescents or LEDS. I have no experience with halogens.

Reflected light is not all it is hyped up to be. The light frequency is slowed down toward the red or even infrared (like sunlight reflected off polar ice). You can use that, but you need a bluer source light for balance when using reflected light.

Personally, I use full spectrum 4' fluorescent bulbs and daylight bulbs mixed in the same fixtures. Odd as it may sound, I let my mesclun lettuces grow right up into the lights. It doesn't seem to harm them in the least.

But I AM watching this forum to learn more.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I have a low wattage full-spectrum bulb that I'm trying. Also a 60 watt plant bulb that I don't use because it gets too hot. I was told the 14 watt full-spectrum bulb wouldn't get plants to flower but it would work for microgreens.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

to follow-up - I am still using the CFL, and my plants are happy.
    They might be happier with a fluorescent set-up, BUT, they are doing well, and I am satisfied.

Things are growing and even Sage, which at first looked like it was gonna die, is thriving. Rosemary likewise.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES