Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graycat7

Sickly aloes - which incandescent grow bulb?

graycat7
15 years ago

I've got 4 aloes (2 medium ones in one pot, 1 large-ish one, and one small beaten-up one) I'm trying to revive from very bad shape due to lack of water and light. They don't get much light in the window since there is an awning outside my living room window. Plus it's cold by the windows (will put up plastic this weekend), so I'm sure they get chilled in the winter now. After one watering and some Reiki, they started to perk back up the next day or two. The small one, faded and curling up and badly needing re-potting, is even uncurling its leaves and raising the drooping leaves. Most drooping leaves are significantly lifting up. I've propped up two bent leaves, which seems to help.

Anyway, I am utterly confused as to these grow bulbs, which is the next step to healing my plants. I'm epileptic so I avoid fluorescent lights since they seem to bother me. I have been reading about incandescent grow lights, but I can't make heads or tails about which one is the best.

I bought the 150 watt AgroSun Dayspot Grow Bulb, which I put inside a 660-watt capacity fixture. It seemed too bright, spilling light all over and lighting up half my living room. Do they emit a lot of UV? (because then I'd have to wear sunscreen indoors for that!) I also have a 50 watt Philips Plant Light, flood light variety. It's got reflector material inside, and is blue on the front of the bulb. That one works with any of my fixtures, but seems too low-light. It gives off a dim, blue light. Third, it turns out they have Verilux full-spectrum incandescents at Menard's. They've got 60, 75, 100, and 150 watt, and even a 3-way 60-100-150. I can't afford to keep all these, and plan on returning what I don't need. I read about red and blue spectrums, but the rest of the plant technobabble is beyond me at this point. My plants just need light asap.

This fixture I have seems to give off a smell, so I may buy a new reflective fixture. Those focus the light better so as to not spill all over the room, right? ... So which bulb seems best to you all here? I have read that incandescents can get too hot. Which wattage would give the best balance at what distance to avoid scorching the plant, yet give them a boost of light they aren't getting since I moved them away from the cold windows?

For now, I am leaning toward the Verilux since there is a big selection at one store, in case the wattage needs change.

Comment (1)