Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light gardens in public places

Posted by nygardener z6 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 19, 04 at 17:22

I just had brunch at Souen, a macrobiotic/vegetarian restaurant near Union Square here in New York, and was charmed by an odd collection of fluorescent, incandescent, and floodlight bulbs posed near the ceiling at odd angles to keep an assortment of indoor plants alive. The effect was very macro-scruffy-organic, but kind of nice.

Have you seen any gardens in public places that make use of artificial grow lights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light gardens in public places

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 22, 04 at 12:30

Bubby's in DUMBO (Brooklyn) has a bunch of HID fluorescents hanging around for its plants. I helpfully pointed this out to my DW as an example of how grow lights can co-exist with hip design; her reply was, "I think they're ugly." Alas.

There's also a plant store/cafe in the flower district (6th. Ave, 26-27th street I think) that I think is very cool; the tables are set around groups of plants for sale, and the even have wall-hanging fountains filled with ferns, bromeliads, etc. on the walls!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here