Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brien_nz

Artificially initiating bulbing in onions

brien_nz
15 years ago

As an experiment I am going to sow seeds of a long day onion (Walla Walla) about now (it is coming up to mid-summer here in the Southern hemisphere). Hopefully they will have attained a good size by mid-late Fall, and I am then going to give them a burst of artificial light in the middle of the night (I believe that is is short nights, not long days that initiates bulbing in onions). Hopefully they will bulb up and this will extend the time that I have this variety to eat.

1). Has anyone tried this? Is it done commercially for onions? (I believe that carnation growers use this technique to initiate out of season flowering). Will it work at all?

2). What light intensity is necessary? I propose to use a double tube fluorescent about 2 ft from the ground. Could I get away with lower light and thus cover two or even three rows?

3). What duration of light? I propose to give a one hour period at midnight. Would a three hour period at dusk be better?

4). How long before bulbing is initiated? If it is only a few days, can I shift the light onto the next row?

5). I would appreciate any other information and advice on this subject (eg best variety etc.).

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES