Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspece

Blocking Light

jspece
16 years ago

Hi,

I figured you guys would know about this...

I have a light stand that I use to grow my hosta seed crosses over the winter. It is a common practice to grow hosta seedlings under 24/7 lighting to accelerate their growth. The problem is the stand is in my bedroom and 24/7 lighting is a problem for obvious reasons!

So I need to construct some sort of curtains or cover for the stand, so the light won't interfere with my sleep. I'm trying to decide what material will work best.

Mylar sheeting is pretty cheap, but will it block out all the light? I'm also worried about how durable it is.

Astro Foil may be a better option, even though it is more expensive?

I also found a 6 mil plastic that is black on one side and white on the other. Price falls between the other two products.

Does anyone have experience with any of these or done something similar?

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)

• watergal
    16 years ago

I used the white and black plastic to line the walls of my grow room. It is quite heavy and sturdy, and I would think it should make a good light blocking curtain.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

10mm of chipboard is pretty impervious to light ;)

• jspece
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sure chipboard would work well...if I had the space for hinged doors!

Thanks, watergal. Is there any chance you could use a flash light to shine through the plastic when your room is dark, just to see how well it blocks? I've found that in a dark room, even a little light making it through can make a big difference.

I appreciate your help!

• oppalm
    16 years ago

Have you considered wearing a mask to block the light from your eyes? It seems that may be the cheapest thing to do. Yeh?

• dantjed
    16 years ago

Where in the world did you get the idea it was okay to run light 24/7? Does that occur in evolution somewhere? Man didn't reinvent millions of years of evolution in the last 20 years. Give yourself, and your plants a break, and run a normal photoperiod. If you look at the light requirements of the plant you're growing, you can find the proper photoperiods.

• jspece
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had not considered that, oppalm. A viable option, but I think I'd rather cover the stand :)

dantjed...like I said in my original post, it is a common practice among Hosta hybridizers to grow their seedlings under 24/7 lighting to achieve accelerated growth rates. When you are working with a genus that takes 6-8 years to reach maturity (and only then properly evaluated), any little trick to speed things up is valuable. Do a little research and you will find plenty of information about it. It may not work for all plants, but it does for Hostas.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    16 years ago

A some what impractical idea, but theoretically possible and interesting:

If the growing area is shielded with polarized film in the x direction, and you shield your sleeping area with polarized film in the y direction, then you will not be able to see the light from the grow area, but the 50% of the light will spill into the room and you will be able to see the growing area when you are outside of your sleeping area.

They used to sell polarizing film in quantities.just saw this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polarizing-filter-film-by-the-foot_W0QQitemZ320190083083QQihZ011QQcategoryZ15217QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dcarch

• highjack
    16 years ago

Try the emergency car blankets available at WalMart- dirt cheap.

Hosta people are famous for growing under lights 24-7. I grow hosta seeds too and ran an experiment and saw no difference in the growth rate between 24/7 and 16/8. If the leaves make food during the light hours, I still think they can utilize it better in the dark. I guess I am just too old to change my thoughts on the growth cycle of plants. 16/8 also helped my electric bill :>)

Brooke

• jspece
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is an interesting idea, dcarch! Probably more expensive than the other options, though.

Brooke, I had thought about those blankets. I may pick one up to see how it works. The ones I just looked at on ebay were only 7' long and I'd like to go floor to ceiling (8'), but I may be able to piece them together.

• highjack
    16 years ago

Josh a lot of daylily people use these blankets when the grow seedlings in cold basements. It helps trap the heat.

Can't you put a "top" on your stand that is more or less permanent and then the blanket on front and sides. When I grew under lights, I used the 1" foam board attached to the top, two sides and back of the stand to help reflect any useable light back onto the plants.

Or do as I did, turn the lights off, save the $$$$, they grow just as well as the 24/7 myth. In fact, maybe better.

Brooke

• jspece
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brooke, that's exactly what I'm planing to do...a solid top with side curtains. I picked up a blanket today and will see how well it blocks light tonight...

• object16
    16 years ago

My rose cuttings have rooted well, I'm now running the lights
    24/7, set at 2,000 foot candles, Ushio 850's. The blanket curtain you're using looks ideal, both blocks the light and throws it back into the garden to be transformed into growth.
    My cuttings are doing great on 24/7. Paul Mozarowski.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living