Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brocolli wilting under fluo lights?

Posted by pushindirt (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 07 at 19:25

This is baffling. I brought in one of my broccoli seedlings from the Greenhouse and put it under my new fluo light setup. in 2 days it started wilting and turning yellow. Now the tips of the leaves are brown. Is it the heat, the light or both? The room is about 70 degs. the lights are about 3" from the plant. What's going on? I brought it in because after 2 months in the GH it was only about 2" tall. I thought it would be happy. I was wrong!
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brocolli wilting under fluo lights?

I would do a post mortem. Examine the roots, did they get overwatered and drown? They ought to be happy with what you describe. Paul Mozarowski.

o

I did water it, but not that much I thought, And it has gotten no water since. Is wilt a symptom of overwatering?
Dave

o

I'm not sure, but I imagine if they're wilting, this means either the leaves are losing water (heat stress), or they're not getting enough water (soil too dry, or roots unable to take it up). By a process of elimination, I arrived at "roots not being able to take it up" which means dead roots - is something eating the root ( insect pest) or is the root rotting (fungal disease). I guessed it might be a fungus, which thrives when it's too wet, but the other possibility is a soil pest eating the root. This calls for a post-mortem autopsy of the plant, with examination of the root to try to sort it out. I'm not a plant expert, but that's the best I can do. No one else seems to be contributing, so I thought I'd give it a go. Paul Mozarowski.

o

Okay, I pinched off the wilted leaves, moved the lights up slightly. It appears to be making a comeback. I'll monitor it closely and see.
Thanks for the help.
Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here