Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amigatec

HID lights on an angle

amigatec
14 years ago

I plan on growing some Hydro Tomatoes, and I want to hang the HID light on a 45 or 90 degree angle about 2 feet from the plants. Would this work??

Comments (9)

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

The idea of using lights is to deliver photons of energy plants can use in photosynthesis.

Why would you want to take the long way home, at least when it comes to delivering those photons where they can be used?

MIke

• amigatec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The idea is to tie the plant up and shine the light toward them from a angle. I need the overhead room for the supports to tie them too. I plan on using a 24" T5 on the back side.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Why would you want to take the long way home, at least when it comes to delivering those photons where they can be used?

It's an old idea and here are some people who make their living from it, Phototron

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Not the same thing. He didn't say have lights only from the sides (not a bad idea, especially if using fluros) using bulbs at a 45 or 90 degree angle.

That phototron is for people who have more money than they need. Only 36K lumens from over 450 watts of power? I just bought a 400 watt HPS bulb that delivers 55K.

Mike

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Not the same thing. He didn't say have lights only from the sides (not a bad idea, especially if using fluros) using bulbs at a 45 or 90 degree angle.
    That phototron is for people who have more money than they need. Only 36K lumens from over 450 watts of power? I just bought a 400 watt HPS bulb that delivers 55K.

"90 degree angle" from normal overhead position means from the sides, WORD WIZ. If you want to make an issue out of "45 degrees," there is some light from vertically positioned fluorescent tubes that strikes the plants at 45 degrees.

I didn't imply that Photoron was a bargain. One could easily accomplish the same thing by standing three or more $10 fluorescent shoplights on end around a plant and filling the gaps between the reflectors with aluminum foil.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

I'm seeing a pattern here - you prefer to argue rather than discuss, as well as post info that has nothing to do with the original question. The OP said he/she was using a HID light to grow tomato plants and wants to hang the light (not lights) 2 feet from the plants.

I have a 150 watt HPS lamp that two feet from the source - directly under it, provides about 5.5K lux. If I take the same measurement two feet from the bulb, but also two feet away from the center, the reading is 2.5K. This may be okay if the plant is a dwarf variety, and may work to a degree if it is a short determinate, but how much light will the top of a 5-foot plant get?

I realize that just because 99.44% of growers who have one light and use it to grow plants place it over the plant and not to the side does not prove it is best. But it would suggest that it is.

Mike

• amigatec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I plan to do something like that. I want to lower the plant as it grows.

• amigatec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is what I am talking about.

• amigatec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County