Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T12 bulbs only???

Posted by farmingvillefarmer East Coast zone 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 21:14

I recently found this message in these forums:

I think Home Depot's Commercial Electric shoplights at about $8 per fixture are hard to beat. They will accept either T8 or T12 fluorescents. Home Depot also sells Philips T8 fluorescent tube in 10 packs for competitive prices. The 4100K bulbs cost about $19.95 a pack, but the 5000 K bulbs and 6500K bulbs don't cost a whole lot more and give whiter light. I currently have a variety of Philips bulbs in use, ranging from 3000K, 3500K, 4100K, 5000K and 6500K and the 6500K bulbs look by far the brightest and whitest. They are also cost more than the others, although not excessively so.

You will also want a three-wire timer and Home Depot has them for about $10.

MM

Well im a bit confused now because i went to HD today and bought 24 of the light fixtures for 8 bucks each that say for use with T12 bulbs. Reading here I see lots saying that T8 bulbs will work too. The guy at HD says they will not work and I can only use T12. If this is true would a T12 of 4100k from HD work just as well as the T8 bulbs? they were 3600k the 10 for 20 bucks bulbs. please help me thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T12 bulbs only???

I never found t8 capable fixtures for under $20 anywhere. I just bought the 8.99 t12 fixtures and the GE 6500k 3k lumen bulbs. The fixture and the bulbs for the t12 cost as much as just the t8 fixture. If the ballasts ever go out I'll probably replace them with the digital ballasts so I can use t8 bulbs

o

So I can use T12 bulbs then? I am eventually going to move the plants outdoors, I only need to start them and let them grow a little, If they flowered it would be nice as im going to sell these plants at a friends farmstand. I compared them T12 to the T8 bubls and to tell ya the truth they have almost identical numbers in Kelvins and Lumens.

o

yeah. t8's are just a bit more efficient and the tubes last a bit longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here