Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stargzer lily problem: deficiency or virus?

Posted by iguanagal z5 NE (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 15:47

Hello! This spring was very wet and now some of my stargazers are yellowing on the leaves. I thought it might be an iron deficiency but I'm not sure. I hope it's not mosaic virus. The plants and leaves aren't stunted at all, the leaves are yellowing with the veins are showing green.
Thanks for any advice!
Suzanne

Image link: Stargzer lily problem: deficiency or virus? (34 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stargzer lily problem: deficiency or virus?

I have similar but less pronounced appearance on the leaves of the Oriental liles mix grown in full-full sun with couple of weeks of hot weather (90s degrees F /32oC in the shade), dayly watering. Stargazer is in the part shade, and perfectly OK.

My guess is:
1. Too much sun.
2. Frequent watering removes fertilizer from the soil and adds salts.

What can be tried:
1. Add some shade (shade cloth, rose collar (cheap!)
2. See link below about yellowing
3. Gypsum for irrigational salinity.

Just a thought...

Here is a link that might be useful: See at the bottom of the page - yellowing

o

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try!!
Suzanne

o

It looks like it could be either iron defiency or chlorosis. I assume it's the latter as I have the exact same symptoms with my own lilies because the pH of my soil is too alkaline (7.8). A soil test confirmed this; I also had chlorotic problems with my roses that are grafted on acid loving rootstocks. Lilies prefer slightly acidic soil to take up nutrients. A soil test would benefit you greatly. You may acicify your soil with pine needles or shredded leaves (mulch) during the fall gathered from your own natural environment. Adding agricultural or elemental sulfur to the mix would achieve long term benefits, though; I highly recommend a soil test first to be sure :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here