Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tillable2000

Martagon lilies

tillable2000
18 years ago

Where is the best place to order martagon lilies?

Thanks in advance---Wanda

Comments (7)

• motria
    18 years ago

I don't know about the *best* place, but I got one from Van Dyck's this fall that looked decent. I'll be sure to post a photo when it blooms next summer. While ordering the Martagon I also made an impulse purchase of asiatic Creme Brulee. Yummmyy.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I limit myself to one new Martagon Lily hybrid a year--Klehm's Songsparrow Farm is kind of pricey, but they have good stuff. If I only wanted the "plain" Lilium martagon, I'd probably order it from John Scheepers/Van Engelen.

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

Don't get them from Brent & Beckys, I bought some called and complained. The guy said it might take 3 years for them to bloom. I told him he should have put that in his plant description.

All of there other bulbs were nice though.

• hld6
    18 years ago

Hi luvmybulbs,

Did the guy at Brent & Becky's tell you the Martagon bulbs might take up to 3 years to bloom because of the bulb size or because Martagon can "sulk" upon transplanting? If they are selling non-blooming size bulbs then they should note that in their description. They do note that they are 10+ cm bulbs (is that small for Martagons?) and that Martagon lilies "can take a season to adjust to their new home" and requires rich humus soil.

Their Summer 06 catalog is online now and they are selling the species and "Backhouse" for a good price (5/$30). It would be good to know if the bulbs are a little small for the variety. I know they sold-out last Fall. Does anybody else have experience with Martagon lilies from Brent and Becky's?

-Helen

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Small Martagon bulbs DO tend to "sulk" on transplanting. Even some of the large clumps of Martagons I purchased from Klehm's Songsparrow failed to bloom for a couple of years. I'm willing to wait, because once they settle in, it's worth it. Come to think of it, only the Klehm's ones, and only about half of them bloomed first year. I'm still waiting to see the blooms on 'Nepera', and just last fall I discovered the foliage from what is either 'R.O. Backhouse' or Lilium hansonii bulbs (from another supplier--I forget who) planted at least three years prior.

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

He told me they were just small bulbs.

And that is why I told him he should have noted that in his description.

He said nothing about them taking a while to settle in.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Martagon species bulbs are generally smaller than hybrids, and still can bloom well. The sulking or the skipping a season of growth, in my experience, depends on how long they have been out of the soil and care in the meantime. Bulbs I have received from friends and put in the ground within 3-4 days of digging up have never skipped a beat. If possible, that is the best way.

Although I've never dealt with B&B, I am just really puzzled because all I've ever heard about them is great reviews.

The only thing I can say is that is just the way martagons are, and barring any size difference, it will be the same wherever you get them from.