Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily newbie - tell me about these . . .

Posted by linrose 6b KY (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 06 at 7:44

Silk Road, Copper Crown, White Henryi, Midnight and African Queen.

I'm doing a purple and orange themed border, can you recommend these or others that would do well for me. I have full sun and part shade areas available, which would be best? I'm in hot, humid zone 6b. The border is currently under lasagna sheet composting since last fall of shredded leaves and manure which will be turned in to the soil in mid-March or so.

Will any of these need staking? If any of these are very fussy I'd like to try easier varieties.
Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily newbie - tell me about these . . .

All of them should be good choices. Silk Road is very sturdy. White Henryi might need stalking. African Queen is best in partial shade.

o

Hi Linda! I am following you around the forums! Thank you for asking good questions...I am following in your footsteps.
I do have Silk Road and LOVE it. It is tall but sturdy and I haven't had to stake it. Dreamy lavendery/creamy...
So many lilies...hard decision!
Have fun with your purple and orange border. I went nuts with orange last year and need more purple.

Joan

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 18:27

Linrose, if you'd like a vivid red-orange, Brunello (Asiatic) is hard to beat.

o

I've been so busy in the pre-season sowing seed and preparing beds that I've neglected the forums. Shame on me! OK, so far I've aquired Black Beauty, African Queen and Regal lily. And being a totally impulse buyer I grabbed a couple of orange asiatics from Lowes and HD while waiting in line (my bad!) If they don't live, then, I won't feel that I've invested the time, energy, money (etc.)into them.

o

Silk Road is a bright lavenderish pink, certainly not true lavender, so I don't know if it will work in your purple-orange bed.

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here