Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Asiatic and Oriental Lily selection

miclino
14 years ago

How tall exactly do the stargazer oriental lilies get? I hear dfferent things from different websites. Some say 18 inches, others say 3 feet. Which is correct?

Also, I want to mix this in with a dwarf asiatic lily. Does Reinesse (white) fall in this category? Again one website says its 18 inches, another says 3 feet. What about Grand Cru, how tall do they get?

And finally in Zone 5, MI, when should I plant asiatic and oriental lily bulbs?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

In my garden Stargazers are usually 18 -24 inches. I'm not familiar with Reinesse. Grand Cru is usually 3 ft or slightly more. Height can vary somewhat depending on growing conditions and maturity of the lily. As for when to plant, either spring or fall is fine. Usually spring planted bulbs will be a little shorter and bloom a little later the first summer and will be on schedule the following summer. Hope this helps.

• flora2b
    14 years ago

I agree totally with hostaholic with regards to planting times and soil conditions...also weather affects this as well.
    As far as the lilies growing for me:
    Stargazer - shorter Oriental at about 2.5 ft (average oriental height for me is about 3-4')
    Gran Cru - mine is still a baby, but has started flowering at about 18 inches (I expect it to be taller this year)
    Reinesse - I am not familiar with
    Good luck and remember the beauty about lily bulbs is that they are easy to move in the fall.

Gran Cru

Stargazer

for a dwarf white you might want to try the 'pixie' series, they tend to be very uniform and come in a multitude of colors.

Flora

• miclino
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great info. Thanks guys

• running_free
    14 years ago

New to these myself, my best Stargazer was a nursery purchase with two stalks. Guessing it went 18-20" but made a nice porch accent in a 12" tall pot. (Bulbs went to mush over the winter in the pot.) I started some small Stargazer bulbs last year, box-store cheapos "Color in a Bag" sound familiar? Anyway they all grew and each bloomed a ragged, mis-shapened flower (again potted and with minimul care). As mentioned above, they were very late to bloom. I was satisified considering the minimal investment. Popped those in the ground for the winter with higher expectations for this season? Just my experience, hope it helps.

~Wes

• running_free
    14 years ago

Miclino, here's an example of the Stargazers mentioned above: (bulbs purchased in the 'box-store' under artificial light, half had started to grow in their bag)

(mind you, the '2nd' house was pretty much vacant through the summer so there was no TLC for the babies. They got water every 6-10 days but the pot was in a fairly sunny location on hot concrete)

~Wes

• lila888
    14 years ago

In my garden, the Stargazers are about 18-24 in. tall and last year the tallest Grand Cru I have is about 5 ft. I am not familiar with Renneise but if you are looking for short lilies, try the "Tiny" Series.

For me, the best time to plant lilies is in the fall. The lilies I planted in the spring does not perform as good as the ones planted in the fall.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the big pics.

{{gwi:1028305}}

{{gwi:1028307}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily Looks