Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopflower_gw

Summer bulbs

hopflower
16 years ago

While out and about yesterday I got two Casa Blanca lilies. I know they are an old variety, but they are still beauties. Along the display of several other summer bulbs, there was also a packet of gloriosa lilies. I am trying them this year for the first time. The nursery help was also fascinated by these and had never grown them but was planning to get some. All the bulbs at the nursery looked fresh and plump; I do hope they are successful this year. Despite our windstorms and rain, the sight of these bulbs encouraged me toward summer thinking!

Anyone else getting into the new summer bulb spirit?

Comments (11)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

At this time of year I have to get my fix by drooling over all the lovely catalogs or living vicariously through those of you in warmer zones.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ha! I know what you mean, hostaholic; there are days when the freezing rain is coming down, the power is out, and I am lucky to have gas heat and stove to boil water. That is when I really think about the summer garden!

But our weather in winter is never as harsh as yours can be.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Freezing rain! Yuck! Give me a good ole snowstorm any day. I much prefer that to that nasty freezing rain. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since we've had a really good snowstorm.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

I do not need more Lilies! I do not need more Lilies! I do not need more Lilies!
    OK, I just placed my order at B&D. I have an excuse :0) After seeing pics of 'Scalini' on this forum, I decided that it is distinctive enough to add it to my collection. And, to make shipping cost somewhat reasonable, I added few others... I am so weak, especially at this time of the year...

• philomena
    16 years ago

Alina, now you've done it ! Since at least one other person placed an order, I felt justified in doing so too ! :-))

I ordered some 'Miss Lucy' and 'My Precious' from B&D, as well as some Toad Lilies for my shaded woodsy garden. Always nice this time of year to look forward to new spring plantings.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is indeed a fine one, alina. I like the white and yellow ones too like Alessia. Take a look at that one if you have not seen it. It is much like the one I want, except Lemon Meringue had raspberry spots.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Hopflower,
    Thanks for the advice. I have very limited space. I also have several yellow/white varieties already: 'Conca D'Or' (OT), 'American Ingenuity' (OT), 'Giallisa' (Oriental). 'Honeymoon' (OT) is a wonderful orangish/yellow variety I got by mistake from American Meadows last year. Lucky mistake! Much prettier than on pictures. I also have some yellow Asiatics. So I decided I have enough yellow ones...
    Philomena, I have bad luck with 'Miss Lucy' for some reason: I lost some bulbs to basal rot and remaining bulbs did not bloom. Hope that your experience with it will be better.
    BTW, Chris from Hallson's Gardens just updated their Lily web page. I received excellent bulbs from him for very reasonable price. The communication was superb as well. Their selection is somewhat limited, but they have some very nice cultivars. Check them out if you need more Lilies.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alina: I forgot to tell you that I did indeed look up that Conca D'Or lily you told me about. It is really a beauty and I thank you for letting me know about it.

Yes, I guess we have to choose carefully if we do not have a lot of space.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Hopflower,
    have you seen Garden Party Oriental? It is a dwarf Lily with huge flowers. It has these raspberry spots you like. Lovely Lily overall if you like shorties. Maybe, it can substitute 'Lemon Meringue' for you?
    'Conca D'Or' is also much nicer than its pictures. I think it is true for many yellow/orange Lilies. Real blooms glow and sometimes have diamond dust.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Alina; I had NOT seen that. That is much like Lemon Meringue except that the LM was full-sized. I don't suppose it matters. Oh, goody! Lol! Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

• alina_1
    16 years ago

I am glad you like it. For me its color was a little pale, like on this picture. I bought mine at Sam's club.