Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_p8987

my Asiatic Lilies are sprouting - now what?

s_p8987
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I planted some asiatic lily bulbs that had been sprouting, and now there is a sprout coming up from the soil! Its about 1.5 in tall. Do I leave it in the garage, where it is now? Maybe I should bring it inside for the winter because I think it's going to be too cold for it pretty soon.

Any care tips? thank you!

Sam

Comments (7)

• s_p8987
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, here is an update.

I brought them inside and put them in a sunny window - very suny. They are growing well - already putting out buds. I broke off one stem :-( but i put it in water to see if it will root. They seem to be doing well aside from some fungus gnats

• gardenerme
    15 years ago

I see that you didn't get an answer. I'm disappointed bacause I was wondering about mine in the ground which is sprouting. However, I am in zone 9, so I will leave it in the ground and see what happens!

• flora2b
    15 years ago

Not sure how warm you are in zone 8, but if the lilies are growing well indoors, continue to let them....the biggest problem is if they are not getting enough light to support the topgrowth.
    I'm sorry to say but the stem you broke off will not sprout, but it may....depending on how far along....bloom!
    When frost is past, I would move them outside and either leave them in their pots until fall, in which time you can transplant to the garden. Or, if you are extremely careful, you can move bulb and stem (requires a surgeons hand) to the garden.....you want to keep the stem attached as that is the food source for the bulb!
    Let us know how you make out.
    Flora2b
    PS If you have lilies that are sprouting and it is still too cold, try covering them with something...tree branches, etc. until the cold spell wanes. Sometimes the tips will get nipped no matter what you do, but usually the lilies will survive....maybe not flower that year, but will come back the following year.

• Vicki
    15 years ago

This is quite a year. I have asiatic lilies sprouting. For zone 5 that is pretty wierd. I have them covered with mulch and I am crossing my fingers.

• ycmahesh
    15 years ago

I live in central New jersey and I do have about 15-20 lillies buried in my garden from last year. And I had bought another 20 of them this year at NJ garden show and also at Lowes. The guy who sold me these bulbs at the garden show told me that I dont have to wait till the last frost and plant them in the ground as soon as the soil is workable. I had kept the bulbs in my refrigerator since last 2 weeks. They were sprouting even inside the refrigerator. Since weather was extremely nice( it was 50 degrees) today, I took a bold step and planted them in my garden today. Im not sure if I did the right thing as the damn weatherman are predicting upto 4 inches of snow tomorrow night. :pray: Hopefully my bulbs will survive the rest of the winter and bring joy this summer... Im keeping my fingers crossed and I will let you know how it goes later in spring... !! Now I gotta think of means to save my sprouts once they emerge from those little bunnies..

• ycmahesh
    15 years ago

Oh more bad news for me.. they are saying its gonna snow about 8 to 10 inches tonight/tomorrow. Now Im kicking myself that I went ahead and planted the lily bulbs yesterday. I might have killed them all. :(

• flora2b
    15 years ago

As snow acts as a ground insulator....you are probably fine with your bulbs ycmahesh. If they are sticking out of the ground the tips may get nipped, but overall they should be okay as long as they are not too far advanced.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio