Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avoiding lily beatles?

Posted by sue36 Z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 12:44

This is the year I am going to finally be able to build teh garden bed in from of my wrap around porch. The loam was brought in and spread in October and the beds were dug out by machine and loam brought in. I still need to work in compost and get gutters put up.

Since we don't have lilies (the garden I have put in doesn't have any) we don't have any lily beatles. I am hesitant to do anything that will bring them in because I don't have the patience to pick and DH just loves to get the sprayer out. If I buys bulbs only, no plants and no transplants, can I avoid the beatles? Or will they find me? We are on almost 4 acres and the neighbors to either side don't have lilies, the ones across the street do (maybe 400-500 feet away), but I don't know if they've had beatles or not.

What do you think? Also, your favorite, reputable sources are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avoiding lily beatles?

My first question is "Are you in an area of the country where lily beetles are a problem?" I had to do some research to find out a little about them as so far anyhow they are not a problem here. We'll knock on wood and hope it stays that way. From what I've read if you have lilies as well as a variety of other plants and you're in an area with lily beetles, they're likely to find you. Neem oil is said to be quite effective at controlling the adults and larvae.I'm sure there are other people out there who have dealt with them who could give you better info than I can. Hopefully some of them will visit the forum soon. If the search function is working I know there was a thread on here about lily beetles last summer. You might want to try searching here.

o

If lily beetles are around, they will find you eventually. It is fact. If you don't have any at all right now, count yourself lucky.

o

Hi Again,
Here's a ? for you all re red lily beatles> What would be the natural beneficial insect/s that would go after them, like dragonflies go after mosquitos> Would lady bugs help? We've got tons of those. Maybe there is a forum just for that but I love lilys os much I really appreciate this forum. Cher (BIRDWISE)

o

No, so far they have no insect predator. The lily beetle is not native, so we were pretty defenseless when they initially showed up. Here's a good, informative article, with pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: lily beetle info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here