Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriental Lily help?

Posted by Crazy-Plant-Boy none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 13:06

I recently bought a plant labelled "Oriental Lily" and it's kind of dying on me! I've been watering it every day (35-40 degrees most days) so why is it dying? And also, do they grow seedpods? Because it has a tiny still-green bean thing where the flower use to be whereas the others all turned brow/black and fell off..

Thank you in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriental Lily help?

If you are watering an Oriental lily everyday, you are over watering it. Contrary to popular belief, Lilium, which Oriental lilies are a division of, are designed to hold water for long periods of time--even in drought. The saying is: "they do not like soaking, wet feet". A common symptom is leaves will turn yellow and drop. Equally as important is that Orientals don't like 'hot feet' either. Keep the soil as cool as possible by mulching the pot, placing in partial shade or near the north side of a building. The bean type pod you refer to is a seed pod. Unless you are into cross pollenating, etc, I strongly recommend you remove it because it is using plant energy which otherwise would be used to make the bulb a bigger and better plant next year. I would suggest you continue to grow this plant in it's present pot until your Fall(April) at which time the leaves will turn color and fall naturally. Cut the stem about 6-7 CM above soil, remove from the pot(do not remove short stem from bulb and remove as much nursery soil as you can and plant in your flower garden--no special soil needed--just good drainage.

I should have mentioned that a good watering once every week or ten days should be plenty enough--even in 35-40'C temperatures.

This post was edited by interspecific on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 20:12

o
RE: Oriental Lily help?

Thank you. The leaves are turning brown, not yellow though so the pot might be getting too hot like you said. Thank you again for your help! I won't be planting any of my flowers/tree's until I move out since I want to take them with me without stressing them too much but thanks for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here