Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any suggestions for Purple Liliums?

Posted by swontgirl_z5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 24, 11 at 16:17

Does anybody know of any truly purple lilium varieties? All of the ones I look at on the internet look purple in the photos but are not described as purple. When I look them up other places they are actually burgundy, red or pink. I don't care if they are dark or light just want some shade of purple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any suggestions for Purple Liliums?

I don't know of any that are a true purple.

o

I planted 25 Purple Prince OT bulbs last fall, and I hope they are actually purple, as described. Has anyone else grown this?

o

They look to be purple from the photo, let us know when they bloom. I forgot about Landini an asiatic. It's listed as a black but to me looks very dark purple.

o

Would Martagon Lily count?

o

Hi Flora,
Yup I have one of those but it hasn't bloomed yet. I would like some with bigger flowers too.

o

I've been on this hunt too. I bought both Purple Prince last fall, and Landini. We will see. I'd been told that all the pics online of Purple Prince are deceptive, that it's not purple at all. But it was on sale, it was cheap, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Doesn't help you now, I know, but in case you wanted to check back with me later? :)

o

Hi Linnea,
I will check back. I think Landini is more burgundy than purple but maybe things look different in different gardens too. Don't know about purple prince.
Debbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here