Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alstroemeria ( aka princess or peruvian lilies)

Posted by prettypetals GA 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 17:06

Hi you guys, Have any of you ever purchased alstoemeria lilies off the internet? I have seen them at a couple places but wasn't sure about ordering any. Our Lowes gets in the pink ones but never any other color. I buy some at Kroger during the winter and have quite a few at home that come back yearly but would love to add some more. I first saw them as alstroemeria and last year or the year before they were out under the name of Princess Lilies. The newer ones and the ones I have in my yard are quite a bit shorter than the ones I buy at Kroger. Any help as to where to purchase any would be great. Sorry to ramble on and on. Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alstroemeria ( aka princess or peruvian lilies)

You may want to post this over on the bulb forum as altrtomeria are not true lilies. Good luck.

o

Thanks hostaholic, I'll do just that. I didn't know they weren't lilies. I just thought they were a little different version of them. Thanks for your help. Judy

o

They're not bulbs, either :-) They are just fleshy rooted perennials native to South America. Those things that look like bulbs are water storage organs - enlarged roots. 'Princess lily' is just a common name, like Peruvian lily. Most of the ones with a wide variety of colors - like you see in the grocery stores or florists as cut flowers - are rather tender and picky hybrids that are not fully hardy in most climates. They are best left to greenhouse growing :-) There are other selections, notably the ligtu hybrids, that are hardier and will do well in many gardens but in mild climates (zones 8 and above), they can be an incredible pest, reseeding with abandon and spreading everywhere.

Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience. And those dang white rootlets grow down deep and every one left in the soil - even small, broken chunks - will develop into another plant.

o

Thanks gardengal, I answered you over on the bulb forum. Thanks, Judy

o

Hey gardengal, thanks for the info.Don't think I'd ever happy to worry about them becoming a pest in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here