Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really big "Oooops".

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 17:12

I planted various lilies from seed in pots last spring and was advised to keep them in the pots over the winter to transplant in spring. So, once they died down, I brought the pots home with me to MD, intending to put them on my porch, but **forgot**

I went away for several days and when I returned these formerly dormant seedlings had not only sprouted but were elongated and white, reaching for light-maybe as much as a foot long each! I am flummoxed and have no idea if I can salvage this situation.

Do I have any way to save these or do I have to start over in the spring? These are lilies like Lilium longiflorum, Chinese lilies, etc.

Darn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really big "Oooops".

At this point you don't have much to lose. If these pots have been fairly dry (but somewhat moist) you could try setting them on your porch now with some cover to prevent really deep freezing. The existing foliage will freeze off, of course--which shouldn't hurt. They should resume growth in the Spring. Keep them in their current pots until Fall (Oct) and transplant then. Keep in mind your situation is far from ideal so expect some loses, but with a little luck, you might be happily surprized also. Liliums are a pretty resilient bunch! Your new property sounds very intersting to me! Best wishes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here