Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denidill

story of an addict and a question

denidill
14 years ago

Hello Lily Lovers!

I am new to this forum (although I have perused the rose and perennial forums for the last several years)

My story: I have gardened for 15 years and during that time I have never been interested in lilies. I thought the foliage was ugly and I never looked at the flower (I know, I know ... it's weird). I received some orange tiger lilies from my mother and I kept them alive only to appease my husband who seemed to like them) (I hated the color orange, now only to love it). To make a long story short, I got bit by the bug. Not sure when or how. I just know I have been bitten and hard. I probably can't fit any more lilies into my garden without making it a total lily garden, which is not a bad thing, but I like them better with some contrast from other perennials and roses.

So my question is, as a relative newbie to loving liles, what do you think is wrong with ordering and digging lily bulbs into the ground in the spring? Anything? I don't have enough experience yet to figure if this is right or wrong. I have done both ... for the past three years I have always planted new bulbs in the spring. Recently I placed my first order in fall 2009 and planted them in October. Will I see a difference?

Thanks

Denise

Comments (7)

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Hi Denise,
    Not sure about your zone, but in mine, if I plant lily bulbs in fall they generally bloom on time the following year and if I plant them in the spring they bloom later the first year and then on time the following year. They tend to be shorter the first year or so regardless.
    As far as I know both ways work, but depending on the type of lilies your talking about a spring planting is sometimes your only option. Martys only like to be planted in the fall although I have succeeded with plantings at both times, with more favorable growth the first year with a fall planting.
    I'm like you and like to mix my lilies in with other plantings. I have well over 100 varieties now so I guess you could call me addicted too!!

Flora

p.s. Who said foliage is ugly (Sphinx)

with the final result (Sphinx)

flora

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Denise, when you refer to "tiger lilies" ... do you really mean lilies with foliage like the 2 pictures above?

Or do you mean daylilies, which are not really lilies?

Daylilies:
    {{gwi:1028481}}

Lily Blossom
    {{gwi:1028482}}

Daylily blossom:
    {{gwi:1028483}}

• denidill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was referring to a lily when I said tiger lily. It has since died, but it was orange with spots on it. I guess I didn't try too hard to keep it alive. It was a lily from my mom's garden from the 1970s and I never really liked the color that much, even though I am now into oranges.
    Thanks for all the wonderful pictures, flora2b and pamghatten! I did plant a few dayliles last year so am hoping to see some growth and flowers this year.

• flora2b
    14 years ago

I assume this is what you were referring to as 'tigerlily'

flora

• denidill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did some reading and finally figured out what a 'real' tiger lily is. L. Lancifolium, right? I now realize the lily I had was an asiatic which happened to be orange and had some spots on it! My mother has always referred to it as a tiger lily. I will have to set her straight! :)

• lila888
    14 years ago

flora, your Sphinx look like Cocktail Twins. Check out the attached link.

And here is my Sphinx.
    {{gwi:1028485}}
    lila

Here is a link that might be useful: Cocktail Twins

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Hi Lila,
    As you know, lilies are one of the worst for being misnamed so I can only tell you that I bought this as 'Sphinx' from a reputable dealer and thus have called it that. Does yours have the dark purple stem or do experience differences from year to year? The flower of this lily seems to be quite variable for me and that is reiterated on a plant site [(google sphnix lily...go to Plant Files) this site is banned from posting on gardenweb]. Not sure your link supports mine being Cocktail Twins either but would need more info to determine.