Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kurthelm

Help! Lilies growing in basement!

KurtHelm
13 years ago

I took all seven of my large pots of lilies into the basement with the intention of dividing them and propagating the bulblets and some scales.

I started on three pots and discovered the lilies were starting to push up shoots, including the bulblets. I divided and replanted the large original bulbs and these pots I returned to the unheated outside garage to refreeze. They should remain frozen until Spring. I think they'll be okay...

I planted the bulblets and some of the scales from the large bulbs in potting soil and they are sprouting nicely under grow lights.

Now I've just checked the remaining pots and two of them have a lot of growth from the bulbs and bulblets, about four inches above the soil in the pots.

It is winter and everything outside is frozen solid. What do I do now, divide and replant them, just like the first ones? Or just return them to the outside garage to refreeze? Will I lose all the shoots and the bulb/ bulblets?? Maybe I should save the scales and replant the bulblets and scales in potting soil to grow indoors for the rest of the winter... What are your thoughts??

Comments (2)